Please sign my Guestbook.

Monday, September 26, 2005

Yahoo and spam

My normal day turned into chaos this morning with an email from someone identifying themselves as Yahoo telling me my computer was being used to send spam and threatening my account with suspension. I freaked and then spent most of the day trying to reach Yahoo to ask them what was going on. Finally, these same people told me my account was suspended. Funny, because everything was still working fine.

Meantime, I had told most of the people who know me to use my alternate email address just in case.

I finally shipped all the mail over to my bright younger son, Tim, who immediately said this is fake. He managed to get through to Yahoo who is investigating.

If there's a moral to this story, it's don't believe anything ever. I know enough to never give out personal information or passwords, but this one looked real. No harm done but I just knew the spam police were coming after me. Plus I wasted most of my day and the day of my anonymous friend who has been helping me with all this.

I don't think any of you would be taken in by this scam but I'm putting it out here anyhow. I've had my Yahoo account ever since I've had the computer and I had heard about hackers taking over computers to send spam. Using Yahoo's name was new to me and probably to Yahoo as well since they didn't seem to realize their name was being used in vain.

Putting girls to bed now. Later

No comments: