Please sign my Guestbook.

Saturday, October 15, 2005

Go raibh maith agaibh

I just dropped by to visit Dutch (see sidebar for blog) and found two of the commenters talking about me behind my back. I was tickled. We were comparing notes on old sit-coms which, of course, I remember ( "Blossom", anyone?) and somehow got from that to Gaelic.

I learned the only Gaelic (except for erin go bragh) that I will probably ever comprehend thanks to Nicole. I'm borrowing it as my title for this one.

According to Nicole and Google, it means "thanks to you all". While I was googling, I found some great web sites on the Celts. I have a son who thinks he may be (or has been) a druid so I'm going to go back and check them out.

Back to chicken and dumplings and refereeing kids. I seem to have picked up a couple more coloring at my kitchen table while I wasn't looking. My grandson is lurking behind me waiting for the computer. I may be nice and let him have it for a while.

3 comments:

L. said...

You`re FAMOUS, Granny!

Nicole said...

Well, no one's getting famous off the handful of hits my blog gets a day, but, as my favorite Irish-language blogger said, everyone who speaks Irish also speaks English. So you never know :)

A quick story about the Irish language: Kenneth (my husband) and I went to a wedding of his former/favorite student's daughter. His student had been a Biology professor and was retired. In his retirement, he tutored immigrants in English. But -- unknown to us -- he also taught them a bit of Irish. So we show up at this wedding and we were introduced to some of the people he used to tutor. It was so touching to hear an Albanian woman and a Lebanese man greet us in Irish. Very bizarre, too.


Ann -- regarding your post above, my father (a priest) told us from a very young age that life is suffering. (So much so that we started saying this kind of thing in kindergarten and I think the teachers were disturbed.) However, it was his response to pretty much anything and I've already started saying it to my thirteen-month-old when he doesn't get his way. We'll see if it'll take in the next generation.

(My sister came back from her first semester of college and said to our father, "But life is suffering isn't Christian at all. It's Buddhist!" My father just smiled.)

Gawdessness said...

I have a lot of irish in my background, lots and lots actually.
My paternal grandmother and both my maternal grandparents. Don't know any gaelic though. Would very much like to go to Ireland maybe one day.
Reading about chicken and dumplings makes me hungry and I just ate. An odd combination of chicken thighs rolled in crushed rice krispies but it doesn't bother my girl's tender tummy and eveyone liked how they tasted. It was funny to put them in the oven, they were gently snap-crackle-popping away.
It sounds king of cosy to have family so close that they are in the same school and can pop in and be sitting at your computer when you get up.