Please sign my Guestbook.

Monday, January 09, 2006

Yippee!! And the winner is...

The battle is over and the referee is holding up my arm.

I received an email from the Principal of Elcie's middle school this morning.

For any who don't know, the battle was over Elcie's attendance. She has cerebral palsy and the strict attendance rules had never applied to her because of extra doctors' appointment, etc. They were excused absences in any event. Suddenly the school sent a horrid threatening letter. I called her advocate who tried to handle it but made no headway.

I was on the verge of calling a Child Advocacy attorney and then decided to try to deal with the school one last time I sent a three page letter to the Principal and the response came in this morning.

He apologized without groveling, and said in writing the "contract" they insisted I sign was merely an acknowedgment of receipt. It wasn't of course but I said I regretted any misunderstandings that may have occurred, and it's over.

The woman still needs a refresher course in communication skills and the District needs to change that awful first letter but one thing at a time. One hundred pounds has just been lifted from my shoulders. I pick my battles and this was one I was determined to fight to the bitter end.

There's much more detail on the earlier posts.

More later. I should go do something useful (like lurk around other blogs).

Oh - to Alice. I chill the people I dislike with courtesy. I laugh with the ones I like the most. I'll be so glad when you can figure out how to get a blog.

9 comments:

ipodmomma said...

wonderful!! one step at a time...

Carolina looks good, but I'm pulling for the Steelers... and if not them, then Carolina or maybe Seattle, just because they haven't been to the big game...

and I'm sentimental about Gibbs and Redskins too... if I choose enough favorites then I can't be disappointed, right? :))))

Gawdessness said...

Yeeha!
I am so glad to hear that this at least is behind you and I hope it stays there!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Ann- and you go girl! You sound as though you do an excellent job of advocating all on your own. I have great admiration for the way you love and stand up for these children. And, apropos of absolutely nothing:
Here's the weather report for Ann Arbor, MI: 36F, mostly cloudy, 76% humidity, winds 8 mph WNW, and most importantly! the barometric pressure is 30.16 and rising. Have a great day and thanks for your visits and comments!
(as past of De-lurking Day!)

L. said...

Congrats on winning the battle -- every point counts!

Andrea said...

Woohooo!!!
I knew you would win!!
You had to so there was no ither option.
Ya Granny!!!

The Rainbow Zebra said...

YAY!!!!!! Oh I'm happy for you and Elcie :)

Jen said...

Woo HOOOO!

lindsaylobe said...

I love the way you "chill " the people you dont like with courtesy.

Apologing like that will make others realise, your actually apologising for them. Well done !!

I am so pleased to see all that weight off your shoulders ! you must be feeling quite light headed.

Best wishes

Sp00kalot said...

That response definately sounded like a cop out. Probably one of those, "Whoops. Which one of you mailed that contract? I told you to mail the other one... Okay, I'll handle this. I'll just say 'sorry' without admitting to anything. After all, it's what I'm paid to do..."

Glad to see good triumphs over evil once again. Congrats! Go celebrate!