Please sign my Guestbook.

Friday, February 03, 2006

It's me again

The girls just left for school, I have clothes in the dryer, and I'm about to get another cup of coffee and see if I can remember anything of what I said last night. Not necessarily in the same order.

The camera wasn't working (blush) because Ray had put the batteries in upside down and I didn't think to check the obvious. Tim took one look and fixed it. I've glad I didn't take it back to Circuit City.

Rebecca "forgot" her homework at school for the second day in a row. For that she missed out on free admission day at the nickel arcade and was grounded at least for last night and possibly Saturday. We'll see. A weekend grounding falls into the category of "this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you".

At ten minutes before bedtime, she decided to make amends by going on a cleaning spree. She loves to polish and shine. She got the counters, the table, the stove and the microwave before I chased her off to bed.

I wonder if she believed that she could get away with "forgetting" . I think she had an ulterior motive; possibly that she wouldn't have time for the nickel arcade if she brought homework in. We would have made time. They have it a couple of times a year and we manage to get them there. A learning experience for Miss Becca-boodles.

Rochelle isn't that interested in the arcade. She goes along but it's crowded and noisy. She loves to drive the race cars but after she's done that she usually gives Rebecca the rest of her tokens and the two of them share the prizes. Then she hangs out with me in the quiet room and chats. Works for me.

We've taken Elcie but she's outgrown it somewhat. She'd rather play the computer games here. They don't move as fast. She still gets to practice fine motor skills but the pressure isn't so intense.

I struck a nerve with my remarks about pre-teens. Elcie will be 13 on March 9 so she will qualify as full fledged teenager. Wonderful. I agree with those who said there are limits. I'll discuss for a while but my final word is my final word. She can stomp off, I might even allow the eye roll although not as a rule, but they will not disrespect me. If I ever allow that to start, I'm doomed. There is a line they cross at their peril

Mangos and aloe vera. Granny Fiddler made a good point in her comment. Once you have used the mango slices as first aid, they will be thawed from the warmth of your hand and you can eat them. Not so the aloe vera. Mangos 1, aloe vera zip. My Arkansas mother-in-law had a huge aloe vera plant right at her front door; my first experience with this wonderful plant. We used it for sunburn among other things.

Chicken teriyaki - I cheat a lot. I had stewed a large batch of thighs and drumsticks on Tuesday with chicken and dumplings in mind. Then I remembered the two younger girls eat dinner at the church on Tuesdays. On Wednesday (shopping day), dumplings seemed like too much effort. By the way, if you ever decide to make the flat, noodle style, non-rising dumplings, a pizza cutter works much better than a knife.

I put a large bag of frozen cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots along with a little bell pepper, can of water chestnuts and a can of shitake mushrooms in my huge frying pan (visible in one of the photos I think) along with diluted Kikkoman teriyaki sauce, ginger and Chinese five spice. I wished for snow peas and bean sprouts but if had the energy to go back to the store (to say nothing of wasting gas), I could have just made the dumplings. I added the cooked boned chicken. I let them hang out together for a while without overcooking and made a large pot of rice.

Add the girls' special bowls and voila - dinner. It wasn't authentic, it probably wasn't even teriyaki, but they lapped it up. The girls have six wide, shallow soup bowls. Three are decorated with pink flamingos and three with red chili peppers. All are from the 98¢ store. Presentation is everything. I have a collection of dirt cheap special dishes for them.

I'll skip the rant about the House of Representative and the obscene budget bill passed yesterday while the Senate was busy passing a tax cut. House vote carried 216-214. It won't help much for me to get busy with the elections; my Congressman went the right direction. My Senators split predictably on the tax cut. Senator Feinstein may hear from me; I'll have to go back and see what they've given away on the backs of the poor. So much for skipping the rant. It was longer last night.

I've read all the comments and answered some. I'm afraid to save this as a draft after the problems with blogger last night. I suppose I should learn how to do this on Word one of these days. How hard can it me for someone without enough sense to check the batteries in her camera?

Blogging Baby has a post about the suitability of opera for kids. Interesting. I grew up with it and I'm doing my best to indoctrinate the girls with excerpts, not complete productions. First place they'd be bored with too much at once and second, much of opera is "R" rated or at least PG-13. I'd have to pick and choose or else explain going in that they are just stories. Even The Magic Flute which is often produced for kids with puppets involves child snatching, a distraught mother, and attempted rape. To say nothing of the hero and heroine walking through fire to reach their (his - she doesn't count) goal. Hansel and Gretel? Nope. Lovely music - monstrous parents and lost chldren.

I think I covered everything that Blogger ate. I hope it has a tummyache. Now I have to go be useful for a little while. For those of you whose day is still ahead of you, have a great one. Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

jw said...

Blogger. I haven't had any real problems yesterday when their whole site was unreachable.

I don't compose inside Blogger. I use a text editor and save the files on my computer. When I am ready to post I bring up the editor, open the file, highlight everything (Ctrl-A), copy (Ctrl-C), then go to Blogger and paste (Ctrl-V).

You could do that with Word instead of my text editor.

ipodmomma said...

those 'it hurts me more than you' are such a kicker. but at the end of the day, if you don't do it, then the pain is even worse... for all involved.

we were 'mean' parents, and our kids are fairly well behaved. mean, in the sense that we have the last word... we joke about it now... how mean we are. but you look around, and it becomes obvious who is parenting and who isn't... we see it all the time here... very sad...

on a lighter note, that teriyaki sounded de-lish!! I love the special dish idea... :)))

J was dusting today... hmm... no big eye rolling or talking back from her lately... Spencer's moodiness does have one positive benefit...

Pat said...

I wish I could tell you how I managed to publish from Word. It might have been from Blogger Dashboard.

I think you are fantastic to look after your grandchildren. Two lots of mine are coming next week for half term. I wouldn't miss it for anything but know we'll be on our knees by the end of the week.
Have a good week-end.

the stefanie formerly known as stefanierj said...

You can download a thingy from blogger and these buttons appear in Word that say stuff like "publish" "save as draft," etc. Trust me, honey, if a dummy like me can do it, you can!

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Ann,

Thanks for posting the advise on my blog, and I'll pass it along to my Goth friend.

Sounds like you are doing well with you grandgirls, sometimes a grounding from the special outing is just the right punishment.

I had a little problem with blogger last night too, but I thought it might be my computer.

You can also blog another way; write what you want to blog on your writing program ie. word or what ever you have, then you can copy and paste onto comment posting using the right click on your mouse. I've done it a few times, and my word program has a better spell checker than blogger's and a gramer checker which blogger dosen't have.

Janice~

Unknown said...

Granny it sounds like you are a great parent. You are always doing something for the girls. I admire how you continue to try to educate yourself to meet their special needs. There are so many people out there who wouldn't do that. I think it's good that you have boundaries.

I will never forget when we were kids in high school. My cousin came home drunk one weekend and threw up in the living room floor. My uncle grounded her for a month. It was spring, so she missed senior trip, the prom, etc. She barely got ungrounded in time for the graduation party, but she learned her lesson. I wish I had had more boundaries as a child & young adult.

Anonymous said...

Funny, your comments about opera being PG-13 are just like my comments about disney movies. Why does a parent have to die, or a village try to kill the beast, or the princess have to be saved by a prince? Is this children's entertainment? I guess its better than Grimms, give me Toy Story anyday.