Please sign my Guestbook.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Recipe Time Again

Once more from my blogging friend at Controlled Chaos

Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 8oz cream cheese blocks, softened to room temp
2 cups butter, at room temp
1½ cups sugar
1½ cups brown sugar, packed
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
5 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips (or milk choc. or peanut butter, or mix of)

Preheat oven to 375°. Grease cookie sheets and set aside. Combine cream cheese, butter, and sugars in large bowl. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Add chips. We used half semi sweet and half peanut butter.

Bake 15 - 18 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown.

Makes 4 - 5 dozen.


I've had a couple of unopened packages of cream cheese in the fridge for a while (for cheesecake) but I may turn them into cookies tomorrow while the girls are at school.

Might cheat with self-rising flour. I have good luck using it in most cookies. If you do that, skip the salt and baking powder.

It would be an easy recipe to halve (or even double if you're so inclined).

I included the link to her blog (rather than just that post) because, in addition to being a great cook, she's crafty and has written a post on the construction of birdhouses. She makes it sound so simple. Martha Stewart, move over.

Our birthday party turned into a madhouse. Just as I was setting up the table and thinking that for once I had everything under control, Ray phoned to tell me they were releasing him from the hospital. Out I went to hurry up and wait while they processed the paperwork. By the time I returned with him, it was an hour past our originally scheduled time, the girls hadn't had dinner (which was cooked and waiting for them when we had to leave), and the guests (neighbors) had arrived.

Oh well. As I am fond of saying, life is uncertain, eat dessert first. In all the confusion, I forgot to take pictures. By the time I remembered, it was a little too late. I think they eventually ate a little dinner and I was so glad they had Grandpa home to join in the singing.

Our bowling party went off as scheduled - almost. They had to make a last minute change to a different bowling alley and a couple of our friends missed the email and showed up at the other one. At least there are only two, close together, and one phone call straightened it out. The thirteen of us bumbling amateurs had a wonderful time. We discovered that the gutters can be blocked if requested so maybe next time we'll do that for the kids (although I could use some gutter blocking myself). It's great fun when we're all at about the same level and can cheer each other on. Once upon a time I could average about 110/130 in league bowling but that was way back in the 70's. Didn't even break 100 last night but I had one strike, two spares, and a lot of fun.

The girls were a riot. Rochelle managed to throw one ball backwards. Warning. Never stand behind someone approaching the foul line. It's easy for a hand to slip. By the second game, we noticed that there was a "ramp" for the ball for little kids or kids like Elcie and set it up for her. Rebecca positioned the ramp for each turn, Rochelle brought the bowling ball to the ramp. Great sisterly teamwork. I figure we can do a combination with her of actual "bowling" on one game and the ramp on the other if she wants. (See previous paragraph on gutter blocking too).

Went for fish and chips later and today I'm just hanging out and taking it easy. Ray is still asleep, making up the hour we lost in the switch to Daylight Savings Time. Speaking of which, I hope none of your computers suffered from the change. Mine and the cable were both fine. I set the kitchen clock and my alarm. Later on I'll catch up with all the others.

Thanks for the comments. I think I've answered the most recent ones and I'm slowly getting around to your blogs. The internet has been behaving for the most part but Blogger has had some hiccoughs. Nothing new there.

Hope you've been enjoying the weekend. Our weather is lovely and springlike still and expected to warm to the 80's next week. The girls are in shorts and sleeveless tops. Not me just yet.

Take care everyone.

12 comments:

Susie said...

Somehow I must have missed the fact that Ray was in the hospital. Glad he's home again. Dessert first works well!
I used to love to bowl. Haven't been in yrs.!
Beautiful here and it's supposed to be around 90ยบ tomorrow!!
((hugs))

granny said...

Thanks for your encouragement Granny Ann!

I wish that I had a fraction of your energy, it is such a joy to know that you are always sharing your love and yourself with your family and the rest of us too.

grannyinsanity

Jo said...

Elcie looks so beautiful and just a tad too grown up. NOT ready for my grand girl to be that old. Good thing I have a few years. Glad all is going well. Just keep breathing!

TJ said...

the only thing I noticed about the time change is my blog clock wasn't right...I wrote them and they corrected it. Hey what the heck I even changed clocks...I like the new one better as it tells AM and PM...I often wonder what time it is at the bloggers...but that's just me...hehe!!
:-D

lushgurl said...

Hi Granny, you all sound like you had so mudh fun! I sure hope I have your enthusiasm and energy later on, some days I barely have the energy for ONE child and my so-called-life!

mreddie said...

The bowling sounded like a real hoot. I've always enjoyed watching the young ones bowl. I haven't been in so long I might need a gutter block myself. That cookie recipe sounds like a winner. ec

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time with the bowling;) and the party.. your place sounds crazy busy as usual!!! Glad ray is home and doing ok. Take care.

Dee said...

These look so good. I copied the recipe and have it on file. Thanks.

Meow (aka Connie) said...

Yum, the recipe sounds scrumptious.
Glad Ray is home, hope everyone else is well.
Have a great week.
Take care, Meow

Overwhelmed! said...

This recipe sounds great! :) Thanks for sharing.

clairesgarden said...

glad your spring time is warming you all up.
Happy birthday blessings to Elcie. a house full of teenagers?? I would run away!!

J said...

Yummy recipe! Sounds LOVELY.