Please sign my Guestbook.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Common ground

My husband is in the kitchen taking out his agressions on a block of ice and I'm up much too late listening to a morning after pill discussion on Nightline. We freeze water in milk cartons and he's breaking it up. Usually he takes it out to the back sidewalk and flings it to the ground. We've finally gotten used to it.

I just received a comment from an online friend talking about making a difference. Roger, you're right. I was atrophying here until I bought the computer. I found like minded people and rejoined the world. I was active in Arkansas with ACORN when they first started and worked for the Equal Rights Amendment which AR never did ratify in spite of a good governor who supported it. I stayed active in San Francisco but once I moved down here the only thing I did other than take care of the girls was vote.

We've begun working with moveon.org, we started a PFLAG group, we're writing letters and making noise. We held a vigil and have had petition tables around town. We're standing up for Planned Parenthood which isn't easy here. One of our people went to the Washington D. C march last weekend.

The best part of all this activism is that we're all so different. We have teachers, preachers, union workers, health professionals, non-profit workers, and me. We have all colors, genders, faiths or no faiths, educational levels. We have one thing in common - we all know there has to be something better. Some days I believe we can change the world. And we do it without making threats or bombing clinics.

ACORN started out in what was basically a storefront - we ran on a shoestring. It's been national for some time now. I see the good they're doing almost every day. It's the example I hold up when people tell me their voice won't make a difference. Yes, it will.

Roger, I'll probably get into more of my checkered past as time goes on. I said in a comment earlier, I have no secrets. Most people who know me well know all about me; I've just never told the whole world at once before. The girls know only the person who's taken care of them all their lives. Maybe they should know more.

3 comments:

Old Insomniac said...

Re: Yahoo and Spam post. Some sickos out there. I viewed a blog tonight and when I x'd out, a pop up exactly identical to Microsoft Internet Explorer notices came on screen, but the notice said "you will die a slow and painful death someday. remember that." No way that was from Microsoft; some sort of sick pervert did it.
By the by...love your blog!!

Granny said...

Re the last comment: If any of your hear about any this garbage popping up, let me know. I receive strange things from time to time as well. I guess it goes with the territory.

I'm typing in the obscene word - I think it's Lithuanian this time - so I can post this. At least it's all lower case. I hate the ones who mix it up.

Anonymous said...

Ann, do you realize that you mentioned your husband so infrequently in your comments (if at all -- if you mentioned him, I missed it) that I had just assumed you were raising the girls by yourself?
And now you share the info that he likes to beat up large chunks of ice -- like Rocky, punching the frozen meat carcasses.
The more information revealed, the more questions arise. I guess this is true of all things.

My theroy on the verification code is that the software companies outsourced to a foreign country where the engineers have a great sense of humor, and decided to make the developing world type all kinds of silly things.