Please sign my Guestbook.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Elcie has left "Fly Away Home" for something worse. I don't recognize it but I'm sure by this time next week, I will. Be careful of what you ask for, youmay get it. Actually, I think it's a cd I burned for her the other night. She was begging for Kelly Clarkson. Nope, it's Music Choice - soft rock. I've made copies of Journey, Eagles, Foreigner for her as well as much of my 60's folk music and some New Age things. I learned the hard way not to let her near my originals.

This is summer to winter clothing week at my house. Mornings are cool, afternoons warm. I don't have enough closet space for both seasons at once so little by little I'm transferring, sorting, giving away. The girls grew at least two sizes between last winter and this so Rebecca is receiving a bonanza in hand me downs and the older two are out of luck. She's not that much younger but she's tiny yet. Most of her size is in her mouth. I bought some too large things last year so they're not naked yet but I guess I have to start scouring the second hand stores again. I used to pass Elcie stuff to Rochelle but Rochelle caught Elcie on height. Now it all goes to Rebecca.

Elcie up and dressed with 15 minutes to spare. She needs help dressing unless I want to get her up about 30 minutes earlier. She wants to look like the other girls and I agree so it means help with the jeans and socks. She can do the rest. One of the things I have to start planning for is Elcie's eventual independence. My son Tim has agreed to continue raising the girls, if necessary, and in California, that won't be a problem. In Florida or Texas, I'm not so sure. I don't think she'll be able to be completely on her own but I could be wrong. We never thought she'd walk and some experts weren't sure she'd read. Wrong.

After Rochelle started walking, Elcie, who was using crutches and a walker, evidently decided her little sister wasn't going to get away with it. She started, first a step, then another, with a few falls in between. She walks unaided now. She uses crutches outside the house to prevent eventual damage because of the unevenness of her gait but by God she walks. I don't cry a lot but when she took the first steps from one of us to the other, I was standing there weeping.

How did I get started on this? Just signed a permission slip for safety patrol for Rochelle. 5th graders are the role models, the Principal tells us. The little kids should probably emulate Rochelle rather than Rebecca but Rebecca seems to have the larger following.

I think I just saw Rochelle wearing a Christmas design sweater over a Halloween shirt. I must go nip it in the bud. They decide on their daily clothing within the dress code but Christmas and Halloween in September?

I'll be back. I know you can hardly wait.

2 comments:

Old Insomniac said...

I used to tape songs for my kids; now my eldest burns cds for me. She's the only one who's a nostalgia freak and remembers Mama's goldie oldie songs, as well as her generation's passions and now her children's. She is the only person I ever knew of who sang Thrash songs as lullabyes to her grandbabies.The little ones crashed just fine, though, with the unorthodox beddie-byes.
Most of the blogs I read seem to be by very young persons. You are the only one so far that appears to be in the general ball park of my generation.[ Grannies, UNITE!!]And I think you're correct about the theme song of my blog. My eldest and I have searched everywhere and asked everyone I know in my age group for the titles of two oldies Ive been hunting for years. If you know, PLEASE comment me.
One is about a space ship to Alpha Centauri.."poets and dreamers and clowns. Bold is the crew bound for Alpha Centauri, nothing can turn us around. You must believe in magic...". Another is "..just like a chain bound to my heart, your love remains when we're apart. Each kiss I gave to you, made me a slave to you, I'll never be free. I'll never be free from your smile so tender, the sweet surrender in your eyes...". If I could get the titles perhaps we could find the songs to download.Love your blog.

Jen said...

I love this blog too-- wow, Ann, you have just taken off!