Please sign my Guestbook.

Friday, September 30, 2005

Learning disabled??

Rochelle, my middle girl with the slight learning disability, was moved back to the 4th grade reading class because her reading speed wasn't up to the level necessary to pass the standardized tests. She cried. I told her it didn't matter; we knew how well she reads. She was looking up coloring pages on the computer a few minutes ago and ran across a Bible site. She sat there and read the word "transfiguration" flawlessly. I'm sure she had never seen it before. I had tried to convince her teacher that deliberate and accurate was better than fast and sloppy (me, sometimes) but the teacher was locked into the "rules". The system is nuts. It set Rochelle back for a bit and she's still sad sometimes.

Rebecca went with a neighbor girl and her mother to Mickey D's and came in with a funny looking wart covered ball full of goo. Squeeze the warts and the goo pops out. She's enchanted; Elcie's nauseated. Poor Elcie has been ill all day and the sight of the green slimy goo just about did her in. All one kid has to do is let another kid know that she doesn't like something and the offender will keep it up forever. I separated them. It was Rebecca's first trip to McDonald's in a while. I'm not obsessive about fast food but we space it out. She had chicken and I'm sure she had french fries.

Gawdessness, I'm amazed when someone says they read all my posts and are still here speaking to me. I thought perhaps you weren't commenting on the same BB posts as I because I didn't leave any room. Feel free to say yeah, me too. You bring a different approach to topics even when we're agreeing, which is much of the time. I always enjoy seeing your name appear on BB. I know I've said this before, but it's great having friends out there.

Past bedtime for girls. We give them a little leeway on weekends. I hadn't planned to add more to this blog tonight but I was afraid I'd forget Rochelle and transfiguration. It was important to me, if not to anyone else. Have to go - I'm trying to think of a good answer to "why do they call Mother Nature "Mother Nature". This from Rochelle, my animal lover and ecologist. I told her it was because some people believe the earth has a mother. Best I could come up with on short notice. She's satisfied. I wonder how long they'll let me get away with simple answers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading your blog arouses deep nostalgia for my granny days and our Bedlam household.6 kids, reared and adopted eldest grandchild, sometimes rearing my son's eldest daughter and son, part time niece and nephew, part time sons of a friend, plus numerous other kids for varying lengths of time. I called them fosters but they were not by social services placement..just taken in by love. Had enough kids calling me Mom to fill an orphanage if all lumped together at once. With hordes of kids underfoot all the time it gets hectic and bedlamy but oh, how wonderful!! I miss those mad scramble days. The place is empty now and too, too quiet and peaceful. Gather ye rosebuds while you may and cherish these busy days. Go, granny, go.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I read all your posts, too, and comments on Blogging Baby, and I still want to read more.

You want to know something funny? For the longest time I couldn`t guess what race you were -- you mentioned that the girls were interracial, but you didn`t say which side of the color line you were on. There were finally some clues in some of your comments, but for the longest time I went back and forth picturing you as an older black woman and an older white woman.