Please sign my Guestbook.

Friday, September 30, 2005

My girls and other stuff

Gawdessness - you found me. We've been playing ping-pong on BB for a while now. I still wonder if that rescue plane was ever allowed to leave Canada.

Emmelinie - thanks. I like "your one" better than just "one".

L. - I'm accidentally following you around the blog world again. I was looking at a blog I'd never seen before and there you were.

I was right about Elcie. She's been asleep most of the day. Definitely the crud. She woke up long enough to take cold medicine and went right back to sleep. She was still asleep this morning when my alarm went off. She never sleeps past 5:00. I didn't even try to wake her up.

This was bulk shopping day. We who have one payday a month try to get it all done at once. I was putting groceries in the car at my last stop when I heard the familiar music "Won't You Come Home, Bill Bailey". It's the theme song of the 3 passenger, coin op merry-go-round in front of the supermarket. Three little girls were riding. My girls used to beg each time we went to the store. It's a great deal - only a quarter for 3 to ride at once. Sometimes we even gave them an encore. I looked at those girls riding and realized how long it had been since mine had done it. Their feet would now drag the ground and the horses would buckle in the middle. Where does the time go? I've always wondered why the vendors chose that particular song but I ended up teaching the girls all the words. Shame on me.

The blog I was visiting earlier is written by a Caucasian woman, married to an Asian-American. They have children. It struck a chord even though our circumstances aren't the same. It was beautifully written. I think this link will take you there. Links aren't my strong point.

http://americanfamily.typepad.com/american_family/2005/09/seven_it_is.html

If that didn't work, you can find it on Blogging Baby.

Almost simultaneously, I was listening to Bill Bennett on CNN trying to justify his "hoof in mouth" disease. The reasonable part of me knows he didn't really mean that all black babies should be aborted to reduce the crime rate; the great-grandmother part of me came unglued. Those are my girls he's talking about. He's a public servant or at least a former public servant - those words should never have come out of his mouth. We've come a long way since the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and Brown v. Board of Education but obviously not nearly far enough.

End of rant - at least for now.

My one sort of funny Canada story. The first time I had to call our Vancouver office from San Francisco, I asked the person on the other end what time it was in Vancouver. We had a moment of silence and then she very graciously told me it was the same as San Francisco. I have no excuse - just temporarily brain dead.

Later - I should go do something useful.

1 comment:

Gawdessness said...

Link works fine!
I've already gone back and read all your other posts. You write as well in longer form as I expected you to! So many times I would go to comment at BB and then read what you had written and figured that me saying - yeah me too - wasn't really necessary.
Canada was finally allowed to send in relief-it still makes me swallow funny to think how long it took.
Hope your girl in back in the pink soon.