Please sign my Guestbook.

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Wow - I have a banner

My anonymous friend, who would prefer to stay that way, has given me a banner with pictures and remembered that I like purple. Thank you "anonymous friend".

I was looking at the pictures of the girls and thinking about the world they will face. To me they're the most beautiful children in the world; others may see only miscegnation. Will they will have to deal with hatred from people who will despise them? The oldest girl has cerebral palsy; will she face discrimination? Will my much loved gay son be allowed the same rights as any other citizen or he always be a victim of homophobia?

I've spent far too much time today reading about the justification of bigotry and I don't have any good answers for the questions my girls are sure to ask as they grow older. In spite of all the theories, I don't know why people hate. I can help change the law but I can't legislate love.

I refuse to believe that intolerance is the norm and I'm the one out of step.

I've probably said far too much, as usual. I'll go stir the spaghetti sauce now. My hollow legged girls' tummies think their throats have been cut. They've only been nibbling since early morning.

7 comments:

Jen said...

Your girls are quite lovely-- and with a great grandmother like you to raise them, that will certainly make their journey easier. I hope your son is not always a victim. I heard once that homophobia seems to be the last acceptable form of bigotry in our nation. But we found out a couple of weeks ago that it is not: It's poverty.

Jen said...

So, wow, how does it feel to have somebody commenting on what YOU write for a change?

Anonymous said...

Hey! The girls are LOVELY! It`s great to get to see their faces after hearing stories about them on BB for so many months!

Anonymous said...

It`s also great how you got all their names into your blog name!

Jen said...

So, L., where is YOUR blog? *runs back to check BB comments*

Anonymous said...

L. doesn`t have a blog. L. is always crashing other people`s parties, and never throwing one of her own.
Why would I want to waste my time writing about my life, when I could be reading about other people`s, like Ann`s?
Seriously -- I use my limited free time to read other people`s, so I know I would update mine once a month or less.

Anonymous said...

It's hard to look at the world and see what our (great grand) kids will have to face. The screw ups of our generation will make their lives harder and less pleasant. Do I want my kids to go off to die invading another country simply to keep our gas prices that much lower than the rest of the world? (Not to mention lining the pockets of a handful of the already-too-rich?)

I would like to think that what happened to my aunts in Germany would never happen again, but I'm not so sure these days. My grandparents and aunts were killed for their beliefs. I grew up with swastikas painted on our garage and eggs thrown at our house. I would like to think it will be that much better for my children, but I don't know.

I want them to think for themselves, but it seems that more and more, this country is becoming a case of "believe what we believe or you're outta here." That's not what I want for them.

I want to teach them that love is what is important in their relationships, not sex or status or money. But if that means they fall in love with someone whose naughty bits are the same as their own, will they suffer for it?

Ugh. It's late. I don't have too much money, so I have to go to work in a few hours. All we can do is our best, I guess, and hope that they can clean up the mess we've made of things.