Please sign my Guestbook.

Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Silent Vigils

http://political.moveon.org/event/events/index.html?action_id=29&id=6193-6449676-WcUsDgngP7hUUSJTEeMACQ&t=1

Yes, I know moveon.org is controversial but I'm putting this out anyway for informational purposes. I've been fairly public about Iraq; more so because we're sitting around holding our breath about my Army son, the druid.

His Nat'l Guard Company has lost 3 and had 14 (I think) injured to date. Total has now reached 2,000 soldiers killed.

Another blogger was asking yesterday how to wake people up. You can find him along with his heartwrenching post at http://sweetjuniper.blogspot.com/ This is a start. At this point, political parties or how we voted or whether or not we supported the Iraq invasion don't really matter. The body count keeps increasing with no end in sight.

My son, good soldier that he is, will go if called. Selfishly, I don't want him killed, maimed, or emotionally damaged. Speaking only for myself, I'm sick at heart about the hole we have dug for ourselves. I've lived through four major wars (or police actions) now; there has to be a better way.

The vigils tomorrow night, 6:30 local time all over the country, will be candlelit and silent. If there is any noise, it will come from passersby protesting us. It's not a political statement, at least not for the individuals, it's a cry for an end to the carnage.

If it's something you feel strongly about, the link at the top of the post will give information on vigil locations across the country. If not, that's okay. I just felt the need to spread the word, not only because of my son, but for all the other sons, daughters, moms and dads, sisters and brothers; both soldiers and families.

3 comments:

jdg said...

I'm going to look into the vigil here in san francisco, Ann.

I don't consider move on controversial. I consider one step close to competing against the highly efficient right-wing noise machine. and it's grass roots!

L. said...

Funny, I wrote about prop 73 on my blog today -- and I had vowed I wouldn`t get political. Ha ha ha, as if I could stick to that!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Granny, we've survived the wars albeit on the home front, dealing with the fear and worry during and post-war traumas of our loved ones. Every generation of our family has served from my father in WWI,[ before I was born] down to my grandson, now on his 2nd tour in Iraq [one bite at the apple wasn't enough for our Commander-in-Chief].So many that came home whole in body were maimed in spirit, and some NEVER came home, not even in body bags, just the regret to inform you...so we couldn't even have the rituals with which we deal with loss and the grieving process. My eldest daughter, the Wild Child, is a fanatical Veterans supporter and almost caused a riot at the local VA hospital when a security guard tried to prevent her from unloading wheelchair bound, helpless Papa Bear, a vet of WWII, Korea, and the start of Vietnam. She raised such a ruckus that a crowd gathered, very hostile to the guard, who hastily capitulated and let her park in front long enough to get Papa Bear in to the a/c lobby. She has an enormous POW flag on a pole that she flies at every outing, stand down,VA day, and any time the spirit moves her. She is RABID about veterans and don't even get her started about wars. Attitude Plus. Not all of the Hippie Generation were about Flower Power. Peace, yes. Flowers, maybe if they're thistles or sharp tipped yuccas.