Please sign my Guestbook.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

My babies are growing up

We just finished brunch (eggs, bacon, pancakes) and I settled down to look at the rest of the email when Rochelle came racing through the house waving a pair of panties and yelling "I started, I started". It was hysterical. She's been threatening for a while now. We fixed her up and she's thrilled. That may change, it certainly did for Elcie, but for right now Rochelle is happy and Rebecca is jealous. I think it will be at least another year and possibly two for Rebecca but I've been wrong before.

Some might think Rochelle's performance was unseemly, but I remember the 50's. My mother had told me nothing and Kotex & Modess (the only two brands) were sold wrapped in brown paper under the drugstore counter. I started at school and I honestly thought I was bleeding to death. The school nurse was a big help. My mom was just upset because I'm sure she thought she had a couple of more years to give the talk. Like I planned it? I was not quite 11 I think. I prefer Rochelle's reaction to mine. I'm sure she thinks of it as a birthday present.

We've always been open about answering questions as they come up so Rochelle's reaction wasn't fear. That can only be a good thing.

9 comments:

Andie D. said...

When I was a preteen I read and reread "Are You There God? It's Me Margaret". I checked my panties everyday for about two years waiting to become a woman. Ha! Little did I know.

I'm so glad that Rochelle lives in a home where she is comfortable coming to you.

Anonymous said...

Tell Rochelle congratulations for me. Mine came 1 week after i got a horse for my thirteenth birthday. Mouse is 9 and already showing signs. i haven't worked up the nerve to have the talk yet . . . Maybe I will just let Mom do it. Are there any good websites out there.

Did you teach her to use disposable pads or have you looked into cloth ones. i started using cloth ones 6 months ago. There a little more trouble but they can be re used and i don't have to go out and buy them once a month (just one more thing I don't have to spend money on or worry about not having when i don't have money to spend).

VMC said...

Thank God for the modern era. When I was in 5th grade (early sixties) we all had to take our turns at the front of the class presenting oral reports. One of my classmates was a beautiful girl who had worn a nice white dress and ankle socks to school that day. Very near the beginning of her presentation, she experienced a sudden menstrual flow of astounding volume. She obviously did not have any sort of napkin in place. It ran down both of her legs and drenched the tops of her stockings. She looked down, mortified, and then instinctively covered both of her eyes with her hands. The teacher hurried her down to the nurse's office and returned, informing us that she had "kidney problems".

Some of the kids didn't expect her to survive, but I was pretty sure the teacher was lying through her teeth.

Andrea said...

My reaction was anger cause my mom started teasing me about it.
Didnt handle that very well.

Your little girls reaction is quite healthy I think.

ipodmomma said...

how exciting for Rochelle, and that is the way it should be...

what a b-day present! :)))

and Rebecca... well, it will be her turn one day too...

((hugs all around!))

The Rainbow Zebra said...

ROFL!!! God love her, that's funny.

Dragonfly, I use cloth too ;)

I need to make up a "basket" of stuff for my daughter--I think I still have some time but don't want to be caught off guard.

Granny said...

I'm sure there are excellent websites. Except for my husband, we are a houseful of women so the "talk" isn't a talk per se; it's just casual conversation as questions come up.

The problem with the "talk" is that by the time we work up the nerve to do it, the kids these days know more than we do and they've learned from the wrong sources.

There are some good booklets as well. The school sent home a selection with Elcie when she was in 5th grade (much too late to be teaching it of course) and I'm sure both little girls will have the same presentation. Rochelle will probably say "been there, done that".

Gawdessness said...

I asked my daughter the other day if she minded how open her Dad and I try to be about stuff like menstruation and she said no, that she really liked it and if made her feel comfortable.

So I'm casting that as a vote for open = good!

Sp00kalot said...

HAAA! Yeah, my reaction wasn't quite like that either. Mine was more like, 'Ahh crap. Moooommmmm.' Good for her for being excited about 40 years of annoyance.