Please sign my Guestbook.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Koolaid Moms Unite

I wrote a few lines the other day talking about the visitors to this blog. It was nothing I hadn't said before and I meant every word of it. I didn't just pick that paragraph out of the air; there was a reason. It was my quiet show of support to another blogger without making unnecessary waves.

I have no idea what prompted a blogger (who I will not link here) to launch an attack on many of us in general and one blogger in particular. We're the Koolaid moms and we should go quietly away and stop annoying our betters.

I've read through this person's posts and I still don't have a clue what he/she is talking about. It seems to be against some blogging "rule" to share our concerns with each other and to look to each other for support. I do know that her bad mother wrote very movingly about a sitiuation in her life which was troubling her and was slammed in the comments. It went downhill from there. There is now a contest underway to select the worst of the Koolaid mom blogs. I said I should win hands down. I'm corny on occasion, I write about kids all the time, I'm always talking about the ongoing soap opera at my house, and I consider everyone who visits here my online friends. I'm doomed.

Here's an excerpt from Her Bad Mother's post today in response to the contest:

So I am announcing my own contest, which is not so much a contest as it is a call-to-celebration. This is a summons for love letter posts to your bloggy friends - the bloggers you love or think that you’re gonna love or that you maybe just wanna fool around with a bit - to be tossed around the Internet in a big, kissy, KoolAid slurping, mommyblog-loving frenzy in which we all get celebrated as Mothers of the Week. So: sometime between now and Mother’s Day (Sunday), write a post about the women in the blogosphere that have made some difference in your world. It doesn’t have to focus on just one blogger (I don’t know that I’ll be able to restrict my celebratory post to just one blogger), but you absolutely must single out the objects of your celebration and give them lots of linky love.
I'm giving it my best shot. I can't possibly list all my online friends who've become so important to me so I'm writing about one (after I let her know what I'm planning. I won't put her on the spot either). If she's uncomfortable, I still have time to back out. Please know that with this one example I'm including all of you and at the same time keeping you out of a situation you didn't choose. It's my decision to support another blogger if I can.

If any of you are interested, the link is to the one post describing the contest. The rest of the history is on that blog. If you want to read the other blog, let me know. I'll send you the link - just have no interest in giving him/her more publicity.

7 comments:

Janice Seagraves said...

Sounds interesting! I'm in! But I'll probably list several blog mommies that I know.

Janice~

DellaB said...

I guess it happens ....

We want to attract people to our blogs, but we don’t want to attract unwanted attention.

So we identify ourselves and our places, and invite others in ..
It is a challenge - and I for one applaud the others around me for taking that challenge and ‘doing-it-anyway’.

When I set up my new blog recently I asked some of the people I work with (would you believe I work in the technology industry, with internet and mobile services) what they thought about BLOGS, out of about 20 I asked only a few knew what a blog was and/or understood how it worked.

So I added a ‘What is a Blog’ note to the website, one that I grabbed from the bloggers homepage, and modified it just a bit to suit my needs .. part of it says this:

What is a blog?
The content and purposes of blogs varies greatly, from links and commentary about other web sites, to news about a company; a person or an idea, to diaries, photos, poetry, mini-essays, project updates, even fiction.

Many blogs are personal, "recording daily events" type musings.
Others are collaborative efforts based on a specific topic or area of mutual interest, and provide an opportunity (via comments) for others to respond and add their own opinions.
Some blogs are for play. Some are for work. Some are both.
They help small groups communicate in a way that is simpler and easier to follow than email or discussion forums.

View the whole text ..

I am always suspicious about those who try to make others think and behave in a particular way.
(except, of course, when I am right!)

So, Granny .. please count me in on the Koolaid Mums Unite.

Della B

Her Bad Mother said...

Thanks, Granny. I hope that the blogger you want to post about is comfortable with it because I'm really looking forward to reading it.

But this post in itself went a long way to spreading the KoolAid love. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

That whole thing is really ridiculous. I don't understand that one blogger's motivation for picking on HBM and then going and starting a whole blog about it. Seems like she's just looking for attention, even though she seems to think the rest of us should not seek validation.

I'm planning to do this KoolAid love post -- haven't been over to read about it yet, but it sounds intriguing!

JBlue said...

Gran, let me know when you have that post done. I'll look forward to reading it.

mo-wo said...

Oh my god? What have I missed... I guess I better get typing.

Thanks Granny for being the intersection for all of us to the sanity of our clutch.

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Ann,

Please check out my blog Lady Jan's home, as I have posted my winners of the best Kool-aide mom's blog.

And I think you'll be pleasntly surprised!

Janice~