Please sign my Guestbook.

Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Quick Note Tonight

For anyone else, that would mean two paragraphs. With me, who knows?

Ray and I went out to run a couple of errands and annoy my younger son at the Barnes & Noble cafe. It's always fun to watch Tim work. On the way, I stopped to mail a letter. I think the "English as an official language" is getting to me. As I was leaving, an elderly Hispanic gentleman pushing a walker was headed in. I held the door for him. He said "thank you, senora". I replied "de nada". One of us was confused.

We split a Reuben and came back home. It's great when he's able to get out for a little while.

Before I forget. Succotash. Two different commenters said "what is it?" It's usually some combination of creamed corn and limas; originally from our Native Americans. Here's a basic recipe. I cheated with canned cream corn and frozen baby limas and skipped the whipping cream. Some people use green beans instead and some like a little nutmeg thrown in. Some make it as a casserole in the oven with bread crumbs on top. Google must have 500 recipes at least.

Succotash
From Diana Rattray,
Your Guide to Southern U.S. Cuisine.

INGREDIENTS:

* 2 cups fresh lima beans (about 1 pound)
* 4 cups fresh corn cut from cob (about 6 ears)
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 1/4 cup whipping cream
* 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
* 1/8 teaspoon pepper

PREPARATION:
Cook lima beans in boiling salted water about 15 minutes or till almost tender; drain. Add corn, butter, whipping cream, salt, and pepper; mix well. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, 7 to 10 minutes, or until corn is done.

Makes 6 servings.

My friend Tina asked why Elcie is in a wheelchair. I forget not everyone knows our entire life story. She has cerebral palsy. Her legs are quite stiff and she's had two surgeries which have helped. She walks unaided but her balance isn't great and we don't want long term damage from her uneven gait so she uses crutches outside the house. Her middle school has a large campus so she uses her chair there and for walking trips with us or her sisters. She's had therapy for her fine motor problems and has learned to print slowly but neatly. The District purchased a laptop for her a couple of years ago. Her speech is fine except for a little problem with volume control when she's excited. She had two surgeries to correct a noticeable drift in her eyes. You can see from her pictures they were successful. She also has some problems which are too complicated to explain but have to do with the way she processes information. They don't call it a learning disability but the end result is the same; thus the special ed classes for the last two years. Next year, we'll experiment with mainstreaming and resource.If she falls too far behind, she'll go back to special ed. Everything about Elcie is borderline this and minimal that. She's at the head of her special ed 7th grade class and helps in another class of kids who are more severely affected. They love her over there.

See what I mean about a "quick note"?

She has a friend; a young woman we've known for years and trust. I talked to the friend today and she's willing to be a sounding board for Elcie. She's been doing some of that anyhow. I told her nothing had to be reported back to me unless she sensed Elcie was in danger but to take some of what Elcie says with a grain or two of salt. She does play people off against each other (what kid doesn't). It's a stopgap measure but it may help. Meantime, she's had a good couple of days. She seems happier. The weather's cooled down and I'm sure that helped. I have to remember Elcie has to work twice as hard to accomplish only part of what her sisters do so effortlessly.

Long enough for now.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and support and I'll probably be back tomorrow.

13 comments:

Merle said...

Hi Ann ~~ It sounds as though things are
going well at present. Hope it lasts.
So glad that you and Ray had an outing.
Thanks for comment. Take care, Merle.

Jacqui said...

Hi Ann, I wondered about the succotash too, thanks for the recipie, will try it soon.
Good for Ray to get out of the house, other than "tests etc", you really do a fantastic job, keeping up with the girls,Ray, the house and blogging.
hugs jacqui

Anonymous said...

Looks like you may have found a bright spot. Hang in there. And I'm sure it was nice to be able to get out with Ray a bit.

I do know what succotash is. My boys love it. I often cheat, however, and just toss frozen sweet corn and frozen baby limas together and call it succotash. Sometimes I'll even add carrot chunks. And, of course, butter and salt.

Gawdessness said...

Elsie has a good Granny.
I'm just saying.

I love a good Reuben. Heck I don't even mind a mediocre one.
Sounds like sharing one isn't too bad either. Glad that you both could get out.

Succotash sounds um, ooogy to me. Then again I'm not a huge fan of creamed vegetables or lima beans.

I will try to have a more open mind about things like that though.

Unknown said...

hmm - I like the response with the door. Kinda funny... I just think of elmer fudd when one says succotash!

Alice said...

Being a child is hard enough - many adults seem to think think kids have it 'easy' and in some ways they do, but in many others, they just don't - being a child that happens to be 'different' in body, appearance (note; body and appearance are not the same thing) or behaviour is harder still.

I hurt for Elcie and wish I could help. I don't know if I can, but if either you or she think of something I could do, let me know and I'll try and do it if I can.

Hugs for all of you.

xxx

pissed off patricia said...

Mr. Pop can make a killer rubin. Often have them on weekend nights.

There's just about no place more fun to go to than a book store.

JunieRose2005 said...

Ann,

So good those girls have your love for them.

It's just heartwarming , reading your posts!

Junie

Ava said...

Ah ... the language confusion. I suffer from that myself occasionally.

Mmmmm ... a reuben ... that's one of my favorite sandwiches. I can just imagine how it tasted.

I hope that having a friend makes Elcie feel better. Sometimes just venting makes a difference. You know?

Ava

Andrea said...

Granny you are a great granny. The kids are lucky.

I am glad that you and ray got out for a bit today. Ji and I are sitting here eating granola bars and reading blogs.
there is granola everywhere, lol.

IT is raining up here, you can have some of it if you would like. hehe

mreddie said...

So good that you and Ray got out together for a while - my Spice and I were out as well, it was a good thing. ec

Jo said...

Sorry, as far as I am concerned, anything with lima beans should be outlawed. Yuck. Glad Elcie is feeling better (emotionally) as much as we try to not get sucked in, it is still tough when someone is out of sorts.

DA said...

This is why I come back from Amsterdam everytime Ann. Just to learn. You are wonderful!!