Please sign my Guestbook.

Monday, August 14, 2006

Last Word on Rice-a-roni (previous post)

A friend from San Francisco let me know that this food did originate in San Francisco. The company was sold to Quaker Oats in 1980 (that I did know) and the San Francisco connection was eventually removed from their advertising. I can be wrong from time to time.

Shows you just how many commercials I watch. I was stuck in the 70's.

The girls are safely at school. The 6:55 bus showed up for Elcie without a wheelchair lift. Oops. We waited for the 7:25 (better schedule anyway). It had the lift. I'll try to keep the 7:25. We can leave right behind it with the two 6th graders until I can sort out some transportation for them. I may give myself the day off and work on it tomorrow.

Only one mind change on their clothing and that came from me. Rochelle had selected a top that I thought was a little too hootchie for school although okay for around here. And I had to remove the scissors from both their backpacks. They're kid scissors for use here but they came in with the other school supplies and the girls didn't realize they're contraband so far as the school is concerned. They can't even have nail clippers. I don't think middle school involves much cutting and pasting except on their computers.

I've been looking at the wheelchair lifts that attach to the rear of cars and vans. I've watched people my age handle them with no problem, One of the agencies that works with Elcie will pay for it. They'd pay for a full lift too (into the van) but she doesn't need it. She's fairly mobile and the only reason she needs the chair now is the size of the middle school campus (and the crowding). I worry about her being knocked off her crutches. The chair is safer and much more visible.

The manual chair she's using now has a rigid seat and back. It's hard to take apart and doesn't collaps especially well. When her electric is replaced, it will be even heavier (battery). We'll have to do something. She's not a baby anymore and hasn't been for a while. And I'm not able to do at 68 what I did in my mid to late fifties. Not quite approaching senility yet although I've managed to forget my coffee cup twice so far this morning while remembering something I didn't go to the kitchen for in the first place.

I'll try to get back later with an account of R & R's first day in middle school and Elcie's first day (since 5th grade) of mainstreaming. Should be interesting, at least to me.

Take care everyone.

17 comments:

Yondalla said...

Your post made me remember...

When I was in college I had a friend from church choir (a few years older than I) who used a wheelchair, had a van with a lift. Everynow and then she would take me out. I remember being at the mall and going to open the lift because it was drizzling (least I could do and all that). Two women walked by and smiled at me. One said, "It's so nice when people are willing to help each other." I replied, "Thank goodness. If she didn't take me, I'd never get out!"

They left looking like they were trying to figure out what was wrong with me!

TJ said...

I remember the Riceroni commercials...
sounds like you are a busy, busy woman!
:-D

Anonymous said...

Sheesh--even I remember the Rice-a-roni commercials. Or do I just remember my mom singing the jingle? ;-)

Can't wait to hear how the first day of school went. I bet it was a great day for all of them.

Gina said...

Oh, I really hope they all had a good first day!

Carole Burant said...

Hi Ann:-) I've been busy most of the day catching up on all my friends' blogs...you all have sure kept me busy reading! lol Glad to hear the girls got a good start on the first day of school...hopefully it will continue to go smoothly! I can imagine your worry about Elcie and getting around the much bigger school campus...glad you decided on the wheelchair for her and not the crutches. I love Rice-a-Roni and make it often, especially the chicken one...yummm! Take care and hopefully it's getting cooler for you over there...the mornings and nights sure are getting cold over here!!

clairesgarden said...

I hope the girls had a good time starting back at school. my Rosie starts 5th year next week, her final year probably, although she could stay another year after that if she wanted.
we'll probably have a few converstaions about clothes too. . .

mreddie said...

Uninformed is what I must be - nail clippers are contraband? I guess they must be afraid they will clip someone else's nails. GM2 started to school here in Texas, seems to be going OK. ec

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I lived in California when Rice-a-Roni was apparently introduced with that little jingle. It still pops into my head sometimes. It just said it was a San Francisco treat...I don't remember that I thought it was made in San Francisco...but maybe it was then.

The first day of school is always busy and that's when things go wrong and mistakes are made and hopefully corrected by day two. Usually someone takes the wrong bus home and everyone panics when no child is dropped off at home. I don't know about what's done in California anymore, but here in Kentucky each child is dropped off the bus right in front of their own house. That's where they are also picked up from.

When I was growing up in Calif. we had designated bus stops.

I wonder what harm could you do with nail clippers. I'm thinking of the kind you can barely get a nail into, that little curved slot.

The Mama said...

Wow you have been busy!!!

I just caught up with your last 3 posts and it was enough to make my head spin.

Good luck to the girls as they get off to a new school year. I remember how I always had that excited/nervous anticipation about school. I always loved the first day back!

Your days will be so much more peaceful after Monday, won't they?

Madcap said...

I remember that commercial, Ann. I can still sing the song! Those were the olden days....

Jo said...

I always wondered why Rice-a-Roni was the San Francisco treat. Why San Francisco?

Josie

Carmen San Diego said...

my son is in 5th grade also and will be starting school in two weeks. I think mainstreaming is great for children. My last few years of work have been working with special ed. in a mainstream classroom. I think its great to teach all kids to work together and not have sterotypes towards handicaps. I hope all the kids had a great day at school today.

Carmen

Susie said...

Glad they had a good first day of school. Seems like so many innocent type objects are now banned from school campuses. I suppose things have happened that caused them to be wary even of seemingly innocent items...

Val said...

I loved Rice a roni, brings back memories of living in San Francisco as a 19 year old (office workers could afford renting a studio apartment in the 1960!), and I ate Rice a roni a lot.

It's a shame how everyday things are being banned these days.

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Ann,

I too have to do the hootchie check! My daughter picked out some tops last week and when she tried them on at home I notice they were too low, so I bought her some light tanks to wear underniether with stick orders to--wear them!

Janice~

mo-wo said...

I reallly like RiceAroni. P-man hates it because he is a totally fake food snob who tries to hide his love of fats and salt.

I gave my girl her first rice a roni last week -- what a hit! We had enchiladas so I gave her some of that with the 'Spanish' rice.. it is totally like ketchup rice so of course she loved it!

ps. go Elcie!

karrie said...

Nail clippers are forbidden?

They start school so early!!