Please sign my Guestbook.

Saturday, November 10, 2007

Veteran's Day 2007






These few lines were written by a home schooled girl named Beverly Hernendez.

Today we salute our heroes,
We pray for all the ones we have lost,
We pray for all the ones who are still alive,
We rejoice for the ones that come home,
We are happily rejoicing for all our loved ones,
So on this day we do all these things for our loved ones.


And from Wikipedia:

Remembrance Day (Australia, Canada, United Kingdom), also known as Poppy Day (Malta and South Africa) and Armistice Day (France, New Zealand, and many other Commonwealth countries; and the original name of the day internationally) is a day to commemorate the sacrifices of members of the armed forces and civilians in times of war, specifically since the First World War. It is observed on 11 November to recall the end of World War I on that date in 1918. The observance is specifically dedicated to members of the armed forces who were killed during war, and was created by King George V on 7 November 1919 (possibly upon the suggestion of Edward George Honey to Wellesley Tudor Pole, who established two ceremonial periods of remembrance based on events in 1917).
The name was changed many years ago here in the States to Veteran's Day.

I couldn't get all the flags on there so will those of you from Scotland, New Zealand, and elsewhere please forgive me.

15 comments:

Susie said...

So important that we never forget!
xo

Karen H. said...

Good Evening Granny,
This is a very nice post here. AMEN & AMEN!!!! We should be very thankful for all our service men and women from the past, present, and future. Hope that new grandson and mother is doing fine. I thought I would stop by and visit and check on you. Take care my friend and have a great weekend and God Bless You.

Hugs,
Karen H.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Amen, Ann....Amen.

Diane

Puss-in-Boots said...

We owe a lot to those brave men and women of the Armed Services and Remembrance/Veterans/Armistice Day is one day of the year we can thank them.

In Australia and New Zealand ANZAC Day is another.

Thanks for the thought and the flag, Ann.

Peter said...

Thanks for a good post Ann.
"Lest We Forget."

Merle said...

Dear Ann ~~ Great post with flags etc
as well as the info. Thank you for posting his in memory of those who died and the others who served.
Congratulations on your ne grandson
I hope Zachary and his family are all doing well. Look forward to pictures.
You are not the only one that time gets away from, I get very tired and get behind in my reading & comments. I read your blog almost every day, and then missed on the arrival of Zachary!! Glad you liked Carl's Garden, the one I posted tonight is nice also The White Rose. I am glad you had a good trip and that Ray was quite OK.
Take care my friend.Love, Merle.

Unknown said...

And I can't help but wonder, now Willie McBride,
Do all those who lie here know why they died?
Did you really believe them when they told you "The Cause?"
Did you really believe that this war would end wars?
Well the suffering, the sorrow, the glory, the shame
The killing, the dying, it was all done in vain,
For Willie McBride, it all happened again,
And again, and again, and again, and again.

~ “The Green Fields of France”

Carole Burant said...

A wonderful tribute to our heroes of yesterday, today and tomorrow! xox

Rositta said...

A very moving post Granny, I hope we never forget...ciao

Mary said...

Granny,

A very nice tribute to those who have served and are serving and to those who gave the Ultimate Sacrifice. Thanks for sharing.

Why don't you drop over to my blog and join in my giveaway?

Blessings,
Mary

Michael said...

Hi Ann,
Yes I thought you had forgotten me sob sob, such is your popularity I didnt wanna disturb you.
Well I am sat here proudly wearing my poppy, my grandad Frank Schofield fought in the first world war and was nearly killed when he was hit by shapnel from a shell which blew half his face off, the story goes he was left for dead and crawled for 3 days drinking out of puddles and was then picked up by an ambulance and surprised doctors by recovering, in fact I will do a post about him sometime.
I would not be here if he hadnt of made it!
He was only 15 years old at the time!

Pat said...

well said Granny. Congratulations on the new little boy.

Karen H. said...

Good Afternoon Granny,
Just thought I would drop by and check on you to see how you are doing. I do hope nothing is wrong. I hope that new grandson and mother is still doing okay. Can't wait to see some pictures. Take care my friend and God Bless.

Hugs,
Karen H.

lindsaylobe said...

Hi Ann ~~ each year your Remembrance Day post becomes more comprehensive with flags and all of the other info -Great post

Gary said...

Thanks Granny. YOu do so much and always with respect and dignity. You're a fine human being (and a busy one too) :)