Please sign my Guestbook.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

I can't think of one

Gawdessness - you have a blog? Is it a secret?

When I went to school they didn't know about dyslexia. I don't know if that's part of my problem. It doesn't affect my reading at all but my handwriting is truly a disaster. They're pretty sure Rochelle has some form of perception problem but it seems to be almost behind her. She'll stop at a new word, say it out loud, one syllable at a time, and then read the whole word. She usually gets them right. Her spelling has improved as well. I am so proud of her.

Rebecca brought home homework last night. Now if she remembers to turn it in, she'll be making a new start.

I'm going to check out your starfish mantra. I like my "7th Step prayer" too. A lot of what comes out of the AA literature can work for anyone - just substitute your own words for God. Most of it has nothing to do with drinking - it's about living. I don't buy everything they say - most of us don't but there's a lot that works, at least for me. One of their quotes is "a good idea can come from anywhere". Another refers to "contempt prior to investigation" which I'm sure they borrowed from someone else. It's part of a larger quote and I can't remember exactly where in the book it is. I'll find it at some point.

Today I have to drag myself away from this infernal machine and bring my filing up to date once more. Why are people using so much paper? The girls must drag in 10 lbs a week. Don't they realize they're killing trees? I need a shredder. And, once again, I haven't finished the pflag minutes. Heck, I haven't started the pflag minutes. At least I didn't lose my notes this time. They're buried someplace in the pile of paper sitting on my scanner. I hope. I finished organizing the cd's and finding space. Now all I have to do is keep Elcie out of my originals. Easier said than done. She has copies of most of what she really likes (Enya, Abba, Peter, Paul & Mary, Judy Collins, and a few others - go ahead and laugh at what I consider music - I know you want to) but it's more fun, I guess, to take mine and make me play hide and go seek with cd's. Why is it harder to put a cd back than to take one out? For that matter, why can't they figure out that the same switch that turns on a light, a t.v., or any other electrical marvel will also turn it off?

I'm leaving now to turn off lights throughout the house.

1 comment:

Gawdessness said...

gawdessness.blogspot.com

come on by - I'll put the welcome mat out!.

I have a lot of the same music as you do! So no laughing other than in recognition going on here.

The starfish story goes like this:
there was a wise man who went for a walk on the beach one morning. In the distance he could see someone, who looked they were dancing. Bending, twirling. He hurried his steps, he wanted to get closer and find out who this dancer was. The figure wasn't dancing, it turned out to be a young many and he was bending to the sand plucking up one of the many starfish that studded the beach and flinging it far out into the surf.
The wise man asked the young man why he was doing this. The young man explained that the after the tide had gone out the starfish who were left behind would die if they were not returned to the water. The wise man said, yes, but there are miles and miles of coastline and millions of starfish - why bother doing this at all, it just doesn't matter!
The young man bent again, scooping up another starfish, and he stopped and looked down at it,
"It matters to this starfish." he said quietly and threw it into the sea.
so that is the story of that.
I like you must do some work, that I haven't done yet, for a fund raising party I am helping to do to raise money for our cancer care unit.
Argh.