Please sign my Guestbook.

Friday, October 14, 2005

Light at End of Homework Tunnel

Rebecca's teacher finally called, just as I signed off on the last entry. We have reached an understanding at least until the conference. She will not be disciplined for the math; however, she must stop chattering in class. He separated her and her buddy which may help. He says she never asks for help when he asks if there are questions and hasn't turned in the work I swore she had done. I said maybe she was scared to turn in unfinshed homework and I'd talk to her but she needed to get credit for what she completed and understood. We're starting over again. She may be too proud or stubborn to admit to the whole class she doesn't understand something.

He also said that he protested to the District about this particular chapter. It's much too advanced and not enough time is given to really teach it. He lost. With our standardized testing, I'm not surprised. If the teacher thinks it's too much, then it's too much. It would have taken me hours to finish that stuff and I understand most of it. He's willing to give Rebecca a pass on some of the math if I write a note saying she's doing her best and if she turns it in, completed or not.

It's progress and I feel much better. At least we're communicating. It's a shame the classes are so crowded the kids don't receive more individual instruction but if the man will just pick up a phone from time to time I'll help. Not send a note; it probably would never arrive. I can't deal with what I don't know is happening.

Still on my way out with Carol but I wanted to get this out.

No comments: