Please sign my Guestbook.

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Anyone interested in a lovely cabbage soup?

I have stumbled across an earth friendly blog. Norene is a former San Francisco resident who still lives somewhere in the Bay Area. I noticed madcap mum commenting there. It's interesting how the blogs link together.

I've been ignoring the State of the Union and instead helping with homework, taking a short nap, and checking in on my fellow bloggers who are actually trying to do something about the State of our Union and our World instead of spouting hypocritical platitudes. End of rant - I'll save the rest for the other blog. While I was surfing, I discovered Norene who is indeed working on being a part of the solution.

Anyhow, cabbage soup. I'll post the recipe but for the whole story, you'll have to visit her. It's worth the trip.

Thanks Norene.

=========

Like Cabbage Soup But Better

1-2 T. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 very large leek, chopped
1/2 gigantic green cabbage, chopped (or one smallish cabbage)
1 box vegetable broth (the aseptic container kind)
1 package dried mushrooms, soaked in hot water
2 bay leaves
1 large clove garlic
1 can European Soldier Beans (or other white bean)
2 medium potatoes, cubed, not peeled
1 t. tarragon
1 t. thyme
salt & pepper to taste

Saute the onion and leek in the olive oil until translucent.
Add cabbage and saute until softened.
Add vegetable broth, dried mushrooms in soaking water, garlic, beans, potatoes, tarragon, and thyme.
Simmer for 30 minutes.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy

======

I may be back later. Right now I have to do something creative with clean laundry if I want a bed to sleep in tonight. That means displacing at least one cat. Fidget (the kitten) is trying to make friends with our Spunky - she's not so sure. She allows him to share the bed as long as he stays away from my pillow. At least I did the dishes unless more are piled up. Kids are in bed, it's not quite 10 p.m. here.

1 comment:

Norene Griffin said...

granny,

thanks for the kind acknowledgement and for spreading the word about cabbage soup--or, rather, about like cabbage soup but better. i think it really is better, but then, i helped make it up.

i've seen you around madcapmum's blog a bit, too. i've even lurked on your blog a bit, but don't tell. ;-)