Please sign my Guestbook.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Brokeback Mountain

A blogging friend went to see Brokeback Mountain last night (in Canada) and loved it. It's received mostly outstanding reviews, has been nominated for everything in sight, and Tim and I had planned to see it together. (I usually wait for the dvd but was going to make an exception here).

Here is my response to my friend's post.

==========

And how lucky you are to be able to see it. I will either have to drive 60 miles to Fresno or Stockton, CA or wait for the DVD. Our two multi-plex theaters aren't showing it. When a friend asked when they would show it, the theater manager replied "never" Our local paper wrote a stinging editorial against the theaters.

With all the crap that passes for "talent" these days and all the slasher stuff that turns up (violence bothers me much more than sex as long as the two aren't combined) they are too hypocritical or frightened to run a film that is winning everything in sight.

As my friend "worried" is fond of saying, "fie and shame" on them.

7 comments:

JBlue said...

If it starts raking in the big dough, they'll show it. So, double shame on them. I've heard Heath Ledger is amazing in it.

Gawdessness said...

I sit here with tears in my eyes again both because I am thinking about the movie I watched last night and I am thinking about censorship.

The story the movie tells is achingly beautiful, it is about love and growth and the pain and grace that comes from both.

I am so sorry and also appalled that the cinemas in your town won't play the movie.

I live in a part of Canada that is normally seen as being terribly intolerant. Our theatre was packed last night, no one walked out.

It is one I look forward to watching with my kids, probably after it is on dvd.

Hope you see it soon. It is worth the full price of admission.

Jen said...

It won't come here either. Believe me. I too have heard that it is outstanding!

The Rainbow Zebra said...

It's not playing here either :X

Sarah Elaine said...

Funny thing about censorship... usually makes people more interested -- and determined -- to see for themselves.

I've heard a great deal about the movie too and will be going to see it soon, I hope... Yes... It is playing here... this intolerant part of Canada...

Madcap said...

I think I need to find out more about this movie. I've seen several references to it, but I have no idea what it's about or what the fuss is.

Unknown said...

It is probably going to be at Studio on the Square here. That his the art house theatre here in Memphis. I probably won't go. I read the short story that inspired the movie. It's in a book called Close Range: Wyoming Stories by Annie Proulx. She also wrote Postcards and The Shipping News. Some interesting stories in that book.

I love Heath Ledger (A Knight's Tale is my favorite), but I probably won't go see the movie. I don't have a problem with homosexuality as the subject matter. I think two adults are free to do whatever they choose. I just didn't like the way it ended. A lot of Proulx's stories in that book were dark. She captures that aspect of life in the open country--the fact that nature is often harsh.

I do hate the idea of censorship in any form, though. I heard on the radio on the way to work that NBC in Nashville has stopped running "The Book of Daniel" due to complaints from the Christian right. Every day I wake up and feel more and more like I am living under a dictatorship.