Please sign my Guestbook.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Color Scheme - Update

Several of you have said my bright green font against the purple background is showing up as a pale aqua and is hard to read. I would certainly think so.

I need to know

a) How many of you are seeing aqua?

b) How many see green?

Any other colors I should know about? It should be green on purple.

c) Does anyone know why some computers are colorblind? Could it be the browser?

d) If so, is it fixable from my computer or theirs (other than highlighting which must be inconvenient for the reader)?

I don't want to continue with an impossible color combination but I'm not sure what to do now. I'd like to keep my purple for sentimental, silly reasons but if it has to go, it has to go. But first, let's try to fix it.

Yellow font works but it's a little garish. White shows up well too. Nothing else will.

I'll be back later but wanted to get this on early.

Ann

Updated 1030 p.m. PDT

Mo-Wo I just finished changing the colors to dark purple and brighter green. You are the first to see it (except for Angela who was holding my hand and sent me a palette with color codes).

Everyone I hope will now see green against a much darker purple. Even if you still see aqua, it should be easier because the pastels won't fade into each other.

Thanks for the responses. All who offered suggestions were correct of course and we may never know why individual computers react so differently. I don't know how much more fixing I can do but I hope this helps.

I'll be back.

20 comments:

oshee said...

I see aqua. Not sure tho if that is just the purple playing tricks on my eyes tho.

Anvilcloud said...

It is a greenish color for sure.

Try a deeper purple like #7E00A8 or even #7E00A8 and I think you'll find that a yellow like #FFFF33 will stand out well and be much better than what you have now. Or go with white if you really think yellow is bad. But why not try the yellow and see what your readers think?

mreddie said...

It is green but it looks aqua against the purple background - but I don't have any trouble reading it. ec

Turtle Guy said...

Definitely green... and look at AC giving colour code! Can we tell he loves to play with colours?

I'm not the expert, but I think the varience in colour perception may be one of two things:

1. The colour profile of the hardware (PC or monitor) that you use to view the page

2. Personal colour perception. If you've ever taken one of those colour-blind tests at the optometrist office, you may have found that you perceive different colours... differently.

-A said...

Anvilcloud beat me too it. My first thought upon reading this was, maybe she could try a deeper purple! I have a couple pages with colour codes bookmarked in my favourites, including one that lets you play with a background and then try different colours of font on that background colour, let me know if you'd like me to sent them to you!

However, the colours look like they always have to me. I'm not sure what other people are seeing. I wonder if it might be a browser difference? Those that use Firefox often see different things on blogs that those that use Internet Explorer!

kuri, ping, the pinglet, & mini-ping said...

I think the white is easy to read (just like in your sidebar). :)

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Ann,

It's purple with green font to my browsers eyes.

Janice~

VMC said...

It looks green to me, Ann. The reason colors appear different on different computers is that they all don't interpret the same color with the same intensity from each of the three pixels used to display it. And the circuitry in the monitor still has to take that signal and display it correctly. I think close is all you get unless you have a calibrated and color corrected system. I'm pretty easy to please in that regard and it looks fine to me, although you certainly could choose a bit more of a contrast if you want. But hey, it's your blog! I'll still read it, purple and aqua or whatever.

ipodmomma said...

aqua. I don't have a problem with it though...

Yondalla said...

I don't know if I could tell the difference between green and aqua against the purple, but I can read it fine.

Gina said...

The funny thing is that before my computer was wiped, it was light aqua and a bit hard to read.

But voila! It is now bright green and much easier to read.

mo-wo said...

I see green. It looks sorta cool

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Ann,

Wow! That new color combo pops!

Janice~

shade said...

hmm I see green font and dark purple back ground... I think color problems stem from the setting each endividual has on their moniter and also the browser used... I know for a fact firfox and my MIE have differences in screens, including color. It looks good to me:)

Granny said...

Beginning with Mo-Wo, everyone is seeing the new color scheme.

Merle said...

Hi Ann ~~ I can read it fine, nice big font. Green on dark purple.
Thanks for comments and glad you found all the "f" s. Take care, Merle.

Yondalla said...

Wow! That pops.

Tina said...

Ann, the background looks deep purple and the text is green. I like it a lot!

DellaB said...

Hi Ann... this is my first chance for a week to read blogs... so I missed all the fun with the color change. I see dark purple and dark bold green, very clear and easy to read. And yes, it can depend on people's own browser settings what colors and how big and how bold they see things.
regards
Della

Anonymous said...

I see green on purple and I love it! Looks great, Granny!