Please sign my Guestbook.

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Recipe Time Again

It's been a long time since I've stolen a recipe, hasn't it.

From Junie Rose

Doesn't this sound yummy? All those spices!! And pumpkin and frosting too!!
Harvest Loaf

I 3/4 cups flour (reg.) sifted
1 tsp.baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp.ginger
1/4 tsp.ground cloves
1/2 cup butter (1 stick) softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup pumpkin
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate pieces
3/4 cup chopped nuts (chopped finer than they usually are in package)

Oven @350

9x5 greased and floured pan

Combine flour, soda, salt and spices.

Cream butter well - gradually add sugar - Blend in eggs - beat well.

...to this...

add dry ingredients, alternately with pumpkin, beginning and ending
with dry ingredients.

Stir in chocolate morsels and 1/2 cup nuts.

Turn into pan and top with remaining nuts.

Bake 65 to 75 minutes. (or until tooth pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean)

Let cool about 10 minutes. Run knife around all edges and turn out
onto rack to finish cooling!

I usually put a powdered sugar icing on top - in strips going both ways.
(as seen in photo!)
I do this while cake is still warm.

Recipe for this icing can be found on box of sugar.

(or mix well, powdered sugar (sm, amount) with a couple
spoons of cream or canned milk and few drops vanilla- mix until smooth and thick
enough to pour from a big spoon-onto your cake) :)

***Note About Pumpkin:
One can pumpkin -net wt. 15 oz.- is just enough for 2 Harvest Loaves-
so I usually make 2 cakes and don't have that half can of pumpkin left!***


Enjoy!

18 comments:

Val said...

I love spices in cakes too! This looks great and will try it soon.

Here in Australia they usually use pumpkin to roast, as a kind of starch/vegetable. In fact, that's what I'm including in today's dinner. When I first came here I'd intrigue dinner guests with pumpkin pie - that's not generally known outside the U.S.

Merle said...

Hi Ann ~~ I remember this recipe of Junes and it sounds nice, but I don't make cakes often, just meals. Glad Peter helped with your Guest Book
and also signed me in. Glad you found that trick to enlarge the type handy.
Take care, my friend, Love, Merle.

Unknown said...

It does sound good. And since that’s the second recipe I’ve encountered in the past three blogs I’ve read this morning, I may have to do some cooking soon. (Beyond TV dinners, I mean).

Ava said...

Mmmm ... that does sound good.

Hey, how do I get a guestbook like yours???

Susie said...

I've made this recipe of Junie's and it's delish! Thanks for reminding me of it again..
xo

Dapoppins said...

I love pumpkin foods. Yum.

Puss-in-Boots said...

You make it, give me a call and I'll came and sample it...ok?

Jo said...

Omigosh, I think I gained five pounds just reading this recipe. I'm going to print it and try it. I have to take something to a "do" next week, so I'm going to take this. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Cheers,
Josie

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Ann,

My husband might like that, he loves anything with pumkin in it.

Janice~

Ava said...

Hope that all is well.
Have a great weekend!

J said...

That sounds like something my hubby and child would LOVE. Except they are insane, and don't like nuts in these type of things. So I would omit those. Sad, isn't it?

Cecil said...

mmmm... sounds good! thanks for the prayers!

Madcap said...

Just stopping in to say hi, Ann. You're pushing me too fast into fall with a pumpkin recipe!

Chris Cactus said...

Oh man, now I'm hungry.

Cecil said...

today was a better day..tv time was good last night...thanks!

Missy said...

Love the guest book, Ann!

HORIZON said...

So glad l got the chance to pop by and sign your guest book- what a fab idea!
The recipe sounds great but l have difficulty getting pumpkin in a tin over here- l remember it well from my years living in the U.S. :) I could try this recipe around October though- when l can buy the real thing.
Hope you and family have been keeping well Ann- the girls are lovely in the pics at the side! Growing into young women now- beautiful!
Bests and hugs xx

Jenn said...

Gran,
Can I borrow this for my Simple Gourmet blog (with credits due, of course)? I'm looking for good recipes and this one turned out mmmm, good.