Please sign my Guestbook.

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Elcie with Caramel last night

Of course the first thing they did was name the kittens. We have Caramel, Raider (Oakland football - boo, hiss), Demon, Fidget, and the other one ?? Elcie is wearing what used to be my heavy flannel duster. Sometime after they go back to school I'll do something about their small bookcase. It holds most of their arts and craft and all of the paper, etc. they need for schoolwork. I organize, they disorganize. They pitched in on the living room yesterday except for Rochelle who was with me and earned her keep that way. Everything picked up, all their videos back in cases and orderly, vacuumed, etc. L., the reason I can't find a vacuum cleaner bag is that my machine doesn't use them. I bet if I went through my closets I'd find some that no longer have a matching machine.

Fahrenheit to Celsius - (212 (boiling) - 32) divided by 1.8 = 100 Celsius (boiling). Celsius to Fahrenheit - (100 Celsius times 1.8) plus 32 = 212 Fahrenheit. Much simpler than the 5/9's formula. Someday my country will join the rest of the world.

It's almost 9:30 a.m. on Saturday, December 31st here. Happy New Year Australia, New Zealand, and Japan. New Year's Eve for Europe still and morning for me, our midwest and Rocky Mountains, and western Canada. Ontario and our East Coast are early afternoon.

Andrea in Japan has a feature on her sidebar with links to time zones, conversion tables, and other useful international information. I can do rough calculations in my head but it's always a double think for me as I'm sure it is for you when I start talking about miles, ounces, and temperatures.

I spent much of last night browsing through my archives from late September on. Mollie had done an online retrospect which started me wondering how long she and I have been corresponding. I couldn't believe it was just late October; seems like we've known each other forever.

That's how I feel about all of you. I ran across an early comment from L. which, in retrospect, was really funny although I'm sure she didn't intend it to be. She hadn't begun a blog yet and she was one of the main arm twisters to convince me to begin. When she began, she really took off.

I'm glad so many of you liked the picture of Ray. I passed on Roger's comment about tickling to him and he actually smiled. Caught himself quickly though. He has a persona to maintain.

My trip back down the memory lane of my archives reminded me of how much you've all come to mean to me. You've cheered me on through the happy times and been a strong shoulder through some of the sadder moments. You've helped me when I've struggled with computer ineptness, added variety to our diet with recipes, passed on child raising suggestions, told funny stories on your own blogs as well as mine. I've learned more in a personal way about the world and the wonderful people who inhabit it since September than I had in the twenty years preceding.

Too many to list (and the blogroll keeps growing). You all know who you are. Or you can read my neatly organized blog roll. Most of you (except for the non-bloggers) are there.

May 2006 be better for us all than 2005. May we learn to live in harmony with each other and the earth around us. It's the only home we have and I, for one, would like to leave this place for my three generations of kids (5), grandkids (9 & 1/3) and greats (3 living with me) better than I found it.

Happy New Year everyone. I'll lift a glass of Martinelli's at midnight in a silent toast to all of you. Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Mother Sharon Damnable said...

Happy New Year!

You have kittens! How Lovely!

Thanks for your kind comments, you know we will have to try that lavender pavlova next summer:>)

The Rainbow Zebra said...

Happy New Year ((((((Granny)))))

May you and your family be richly blessed in 2006!

Andie D. said...

I can relate to your feelings about finding a place to belong within the blogging community. I was overwhelmed, frankly, when I became a first time stay at home mom recently. I too have learned so much and have come to feel like I have many more friends. Weird and very cool at the same time.

I'll lift a glass of wine in a silent toast to all of you tonight too (although it will be closer to 9:00 PM!).

Happy New Year Granny!

DA said...

I wish youo a 2006 with lots of humor, compassion and love from a snow covered Amsterdam!

Andrea said...

Happy New Year Granny! It has been wonderful meeting you and I am so glad you came to visit me that day and now I have so many more friends. It has been great,
It is New Years Day now as I type this and everyone is heading to the temples to pray and buy their good luck charms. Wishing you all the best of luck in the new year.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! (a little early, but tomorrow's a big day at the MIL's.)

Water is a liquid in the range of 0 to 100 deg celsius and 32 to 212 deg farenheit. So, if you subtract 32 from a farenheit temp, your range starts at the same point -- 0 deg. So you've got 0-100 celsius and 0-180 on our modified farenheit scale. The farenheit scale is 1.8 times as big for what is the same thing. To get to farenheit from celsius, you multiply by 1.8 (100 x 1.8 = 180) and to go the other way, you divide (180 / 1.8 = 100).

And, just for the record, 9/5 = 1.8 (and 5/9 = 1/1.8)

For your retrospective, you could almost have done the December Challenge. Close enough -- I'll count you as in. If it weren't for the kids, I'd have mine done. Oh well, plenty of time left in the month, right?

Anyway, likewise, well met.

Granny said...

Roger, what did I miss? I'll go back and check December challenge although it's 7:12 p.m. here, a little late to start.

To everyone - Happy New Year.

Gary said...

May 2006 bring you peace, love and lots of fun. You're a fine human being.

lindsaylobe said...

Hi Ann
I look forward to your company in 2006 and hearing about your adventures with those 3 generations of kids.

Living in harmony with each other and the earth around us is a great aspiration. It reminds me of of Albert Schweitzer's philosopy which is based on his wonderful insight of "Reverence For life Principle" which raises all life to it's true value.

Best wishes for 2006 which has just begun for you !! and soon the end of our new years day.