Please sign my Guestbook.

Monday, February 13, 2006

isamericaburning and the Chicago Sun-Times

Note: The family update post is right beneath this one. I split them because I wanted separate titles.


I've included several items from Quick Takes both here and on isamericaburning since I've been doing this. Zay Smith seems to share my sense of the ridiculous and he's just as capable of poking fun at liberals as he is conservatives. I'll admit sometimes we liberals are a little over the top as well. After my personal email and the breaking news emails in the morning, his is the first column I read. Not everything he publishes is funny; some is very sad. He brings an original point of view to both and one I enjoy.

Today he outdid himself although I'll admit I'm biased.

From Chicago Sun-Times
Zay N. Smith - Quick Takes
today:

Not this one:

News Item: "Internet users can give Web sites a thumbs up or thumbs down in less than the blink of an eye, according to a study by Canadian researchers."

This is probably true of many things, from TV shows to newspaper columns . . .

Hey! Wait! Come back here!

================
This one:

Hold your tongue

Is America Burning? -- isamericaburning.blogspot.com -- quotes Howard Dean:

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."

Then again, what do you expect from --

No. Wait.

The weblog was quoting Theodore Roosevelt.

Sorry.

===============

For any of you who haven't noticed, isamericaburning.blogspot.com is listed on the sidebar as Granny's other blog. It actually belongs to a nice woman called Worried American. I joined later. We agree on some things; disagree on others. As a whole, we work well together and we like each other very much. The other evening we posted the same news clipping within five minutes of each other. It was bound to happen. We work independently. Oops. Great minds work together, Worried American replied.

We began with talking to each other and, over the months, we've picked up several commenters and linked to other blogs. We've developed some online friendships as well. It's very different from what I do here but I'd like to think we're making a contribution.

I promise there was no bribery involved. I'd written Zay as a courtesy to thank him for an item I used on isamericaburning and he wrote back saying he enjoyed reading the blog(s). He also said he'd like to work isamericaburning into his column if he could find a way to do it. It always surprises me to receive a personal response from a columnist; especially in a publication like the Sun-Times. They must receive hundreds of emails. Today, there it was. Wow.

There are thousands of political blogs out there. Some, like KOS, are huge and influential; others, like isamericaburning, are small. It may have been the idea of two great-grannies, separated by geography but able to work together, that caught his interest. Or it may have been the content. Perhaps both. I don't know. Whatever it was, we appreciate it.

Kids in bed, house quiet, I miss Ray, but perhaps he'll be home soon. I'd never admit it but I even miss the sci-fi programs. Over 16 years we've grown accustomed to each other's little quirks. I'll keep you posted.


1 comment:

Andrea said...

that is pretty damn cool granny!! Good for you two!!