Please sign my Guestbook.

Monday, July 24, 2006

Baseball - Recap

Five sets of pictures follow - They're numbered - you might want to start at the bottom. Just don't have time to change all the times and get them in order.

I went to the first Until There's a Cure Day in 1995 when we were still playing at old Candlestick Park. I'd already moved to Merced and never had a chance to get back for this annual game until now.

A portion of the proceeds goes directly to AIDS and they sell bracelets and t-shirts. (I have a t-shirt - you can see it in the later photos).

The girls were good until the game went into extra innings. I couldn't explain that there are no "ties" in baseball (except for rainouts and very rarely a game that stretches on into the next morning). We lost in 12 innings 6-5 but it was still a great day.

I switched seats with their Uncle Jim so I could sit with the grownups for a little while and not keep hearing "is it over yet" from Rebecca. He gave her his "fatherly" look and she subsided.

I couldn't get pics of the game itself. Our seats were at the far back of the lower reserved section; partly to keep us under the second deck and out of the sun and partly so Elcie wouldn't have to navigate the steps. She's done it before but I was grateful to our coordinator for thinking of it.

It was an almost perfect day (the loss was the downside but at least we were in 1st place for a day and we took 3 out of four from San Diego). It was wonderful hanging out with my PFLAG friends and reconnecting with a couple of dear friends from the city who joined us.

I think we got back here around 8:30 and walked off the bus into the blistering heat even at that hour. I started to download pics last night but was just too tired to focus.

Lots of food. We had snacks, water, juice and soda on the bus and my friends at the game kept feeding the girls. Fries, garlic fries, popcorn, cotton candy plus an assortment of packaged snacks from the bus and a huge Sprite the four of us shared. I kept refilling the glass with water for the rest of the game. I finally slowed them down - I didn't want to deal with sick kids on the return trip. They were fine - dozed off for the last 40 miles from the stop in Modesto in.

We're already planning on a repeat for next year.

Talk to you later. Have to give Tim a ride to work and wanted to put everything on.

And I have to let the few people who have already checked in know that they missed some of the pictures.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Instead of posting on all the post about the game I will comment on all of them here. I love hearing about your day and the photos are great. It is fun to see blog friends doing real life things. The girls are all so pretty and look like they were having a nice time. I'm not a big baseball fan, but I am glad that they did this game for AIDS. My husband brother died of it a few years ago, so it is a cause near and dear to our hearts. As usual you have done another great post.

Anonymous said...

i'm not a big baseball fan either, but i'm glad you had a good time, and got out of town. all that food kinda made me feel queasy

Anonymous said...

Looks like a good (great) time was had by all!

I'm glad you had such a nice day out and about. You all deserve it.

Carissa said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

JunieRose2005 said...

Hi Ann,

I enjoyed seeing your pictures very much! Looks like you all had fun!

Junie

FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Baseball is not much of a craze here where I live. What is in here is Basketball, nevertheless, it's nice to know you had a grand time.
Thanks for dropping by.

Merle said...

Hi Ann ~~ You have done well to post all those pictures and info and it seems a good time was had by all.You must have been so tired after it all. I hope you are feeling better now for the trip and some sleep. Take care, Merle.
I am glad the bus driver helped Elcie.

Andrea said...

wow photos and story!! brillinat!!! looks like you had a masvoulous time. I am so glad. Live sports games are the best!!!
brilliant post!!!!

Wystful1 said...

Granny: First thanks for dropping by this fine day. Yep, I agree with you and mrs. olson and that coffee....my hubby too. But that is neither here nor there.

NOW!---wanted to comment on all the baseball blogs you've had recently! All I can say is WOW!!! I'm originally from Colorado, and had the opportunity of watching them from their innaugural season back in 93. Then when we retired we had the best of two worlds. Rockies Spring training and AZ diamondbacks in Arizona. Now for us it's Astros in Houston.

What a wonderful time you musta had. And love all the wonderful pix you've shared.

Thanks for the visit.

Carole Burant said...

I'm catching up on everyone's posts this morning before I make my Niagara Falls post...you've kept me busy reading! lol Love all the pictures and it must have been a wonderful experience to go watch a baseball game LIVE!! I used to follow baseball (my team was the Toronto Blue Jays)but when they started changing all the players, I just lost interest and it's been years since I've watched a baseball game now. Ok, now I'm caught up with all your posts...on to the next:-) Have a great day Ann!!

Ava said...

I've really enjoyed the pictures and hearing about your trip. I'm glad that you had the opportunity to get out and enjoy yourself! I totally understand the "escaping to the adult section" for a little bit. (wink)

Crazedmomof4 said...

Thanks for helping me out the other day!

You have a beautiful family & I will be checking back to read more!

Jo said...

Not big into the sports thing, but I am a fan of granny! Sounds like a good time was had by all, which was the whole point, right? Those blue eyes? To die for. Wow.

mreddie said...

Wow, I get busy for a few days and miss many blogs. I did look back to catch up on the Giant (in more ways than one) weekend. Beautiful pictures to chronicle the trip - if I remember correctly all of my 'grands' have blue eyes - that was a good pic of her. Even in spite of the loss of the game, it sounded (and looked) like a really fun trip that the girls will be talking about for a while. ec

Turtle Guy said...

Nice. I'm so not a "sports guy", but I really do enjoy the "rah, rah" surrounding a sporting event. There's true passion out there and that's what I enjoy seeing. I'm thinking the reason I never became a sports nut is that I wasn't all that good at sports and subsequently lost interest. But like dancing, I enjoy watching people who play well - or for that matter, try and I suppose as we get older we realize it isn't about the game as much as it's about the attitude.

Party on!

eyes_only4him said...

sure sounds like a good time..

*Tanyetta* said...

I'm still thinking of Tim thinking of becoming a beautician. How cool is that.

Just stopping through to say hi Granny. Don't worry about responding. You are super busy!!! We love ya!!!!!