Please sign my Guestbook.

Monday, October 16, 2006

Party Time in San Francisco (Again) - Part II

It will make more sense if you read the earlier post first (it has pictures).

We had the usual last minute scramble and I forgot to pack a couple of things (socks, for example - L. has a shoe free house so I borrowed socks from her). Other than that all our plans fell into place, no one was sick, my friend drove me the entire four blocks to Amtrak, and I escaped. I packed twice what I needed but it was only one bag and a very small purse. Not too bad.

I got off the Amtrak bus in downtown SF (Amtrak runs to the East Bay - from there they run a shuttle bus to the city), got on the correct BART train (BART has added an airport run since I lived in the city - I didn't want to find myself there), and Roger and family picked me up at the other end.

From there we went straight to L's. Stefanie was already there with that beaming smile in place. Hugs all around, a little chatter, and on to the important stuff - the takeout menu. As you can see, no one went hungry.

There were plenty of kids to liven things up even without Stefanie's and mine. L.'s three and Roger's two kept their parents busy. For once I just watched and admired. They're all adorable and they'd grown since I last saw them.

I can't speak for anyone else but I had a wonderful time. I knew L. and Roger (and family) of course from the potluck last March. In the "small world of bloggers" category, Dutch and Wood who co-write Sweet Juniper were still living in San Francisco last March and were at the pot luck then.

They moved to Detroit during the summer and, on their way, stopped off in Salt Lake City, met Stefanie there, and spent some time with her family before traveling on. This time Stefanie came west (just for the weekend).

I've already said L., Roger, Dutch, and I all met on Blogging Baby - all as commenters back then. Now both Roger and Dutch write for BB. I can't remember when I first crossed paths with Stefanie but we've known each other for a while.

They're all on the blogroll (including Blogging Baby) and all good reading:

L. - The Homesick Home
Roger - Uncle Roger's Journal etc.
Stefanie - Mommy Matic

Dutch and Wood - Sweet Juniper

Our party broke up around eleven - long day for all of us, Stefanie had to be on a plane at 5:00 a.m, and Roger's kids (as well as the rest of us) were beginning to fade. Time to go our separate ways.

Meantime, I'd contacted another San Francisco friend (not a blogger; I've known Louis for more than twenty years). We don't see as much of each other as we'd like but we've never lost touch. We got together, he and his friend fed me enchiladas and Spanish rice (plus a decadent dessert) for Sunday dinner, watched the Forty-Niners lose to the Chargers, then Louis took me to the Amtrak connection.

I arrived home about 3/4 of an hour behind schedule - Amtrak running a little late. The girls were still barely awake, gave me a hug, and went to bed. From all I heard, everyone managed nicely.

And now it's almost midnight here and tomorrow is a school day. I may still be a little too hyped to sleep but I'm going to try.

But first I'm going to catch up on the mail. I know there are comments awaiting me but I wanted to get these posts on first.

It was a wonderful respite, I'm glad I did it, and now I'm glad to be home.

Take care everyone.

17 comments:

Merle said...

Dear Ann ~ Glad you had such a lovely time, and that all was well at home.
Take care, Love, Merle.

lindsaylobe said...

Hi Ann ~ you seem to have a wonderful time, as befits a rock rebel granny.
Navigated your way very well and an enjoyable time for all, adjudged by the beaming faces.

Best wishes

JunieRose2005 said...

Ann,


Sounds like a great adventure you had! I enjoyed the pictures!

Junie

Kristen said...

That sounds like a great trip - I'm glad you could get away for it!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time. :)

Pat said...

well if you have to forget something I suppose socks are better than kmickers! So glad you had the respite.

clairesgarden said...

nice to get to see your friends, and meeting blogger friends too. glad you had a nice time

Gina said...

Glad everyone had such a great time!

Susie said...

Hi Ann!
Sounds like a fun getaway. It really helps just to have some "me time" doesn't it?
We arrived home from our getaway to rain! I didn't see it in the weather predictions...

Sandy Hatcher-Wallace said...

I read both your part I & 2 and it sounded like you really had a wonderful time with your friends. I'm glad you got to go and enjoy yourself.

And thank you VERY MUCH for the links to last March's visits...I really enjoyed reading them.

Carole Burant said...

I'm so glad you were able to get away Ann...we all need to do that once in a while to recharge the batteries!! Although, with all the eating and everything when visiting, it tires you out too! lol I loved all the pictures, sounds like you all had a wonderful time:-)

Dem Soldier said...

Greetings from great state of 10,000 lakes......

Good to hear U had great time....

Puss-in-Boots said...

Hi Ann, Crikey, I thought I had a busy weekend, but you put me to shame!

Anyway, I'm glad you had a great time in San Francisco (a place I've always wanted to visit - I will one day).

Take care

Robyn

The Mama said...

That sounds like such a fun little trip. I'm glad you had such a good time. I would love to get to San Franscisco someday, it's on my list of places to see!

Jo said...

Yay! You got some much deserved time away. You are such a nexius of love and connectedness.

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Ann,

I'm glad it all worked out and you had a great time!

Janice~

Janice Seagraves said...

Hi Ann,

I'm glad it all worked out and you had a great time!

Janice~