Please sign my Guestbook.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I Haven't Dropped Off The Face of the Earth!! Update 5:30 p.m.

But it's been a busy week.

First, the news about my friend Carmen is not encouraging but she continues to fight. Her husband thanks all of us (on their blog) for our prayers and asks us to continue. For those of you who don't know about her struggle, my earlier post is here

Update: I'm so sorry to let you know that Carmen died this morning. Thank you Susie for letting me know about the later post. Your thoughts and prayers for the family are needed more now than ever. For further information, check Mike's latest post.



Ray came home from the hospital Friday afternoon. His leg is better (yes, it was staph but one of the varieties which responds to antibiotics). It was not the "superbug" which is terrorizing so many communities. The home care is a little more involved than it was but I've learned and we're managing. Other than the infection, he's doing quite well.

Saturday I attended the "celebration" of the life of one of my good friends from church. It was a wonderful service complete with a bagpiper in kilts and lots of memories of my friend. I have my own, often funny, memories of Betty. The two of us laughed a lot. If I could choose my own death, there are far worse ways to go than at the age of 78 busily planning my next three projects. That was Betty. She left an amazing legacy.

Sunday and Monday I had the "blahs" (not exactly sick; just tired I think) and did very little except care for Ray, watch the '49ers lose to the Saints (my older son was happy enough to call me from El Centro to gloat), and watch the Rockies go down in flames to the Red Sox. Congratulations to Boston even though I was hoping for Colorado (National League, same as my Giants and they'd never won a World Series). Monday I spent lying down some of the time in between preparing meals and doing what was necessary.

Today has been much better. Friend Janet and I went for what is becoming our Tuesday ritual of coffee and grocery shopping. Now I'm waiting with an empty refrigerator for someone to pick up the fridge and drop off a loaner. Nothing serious; just the seal (or lack thereof) on the door. It stays cold but I know it's gulping down electricity. Still under warranty so no problem if they ever get here. They said between 1 and 3 - it's now 2:12.

I've talked to all the girls, mainly Rebecca, several times. Her birthday is on Halloween (she'll be 12 - the same age as Rochelle for a little over two months) and she's very chatty about that. They seem to be doing well.

Rochelle will turn 13 in January. I don't know where the time goes.

If all goes well with Ray, I'm headed for San Francisco early Sunday morning and coming back on probably the first train Monday. I'll set up meal menus (microwavable) and medications ahead of time, my friend Dawn can handle wound care on Sunday afternoon, and he should be fine. The home health nurse didn't see any problems. So far, each day seems better than the one before. He's certainly well enough to make toast, pour cereal, and put a sandwich together. I have lots of what in the military would be called MRE's (meals ready to eat).

Dawn will bring him Sunday dinner so we're talking about one lunch, one bedtime snack (because of the insulin), and Monday breakfast. I should be home before lunch.

It should be fun. I'll be meeting up with either two or three bloggers I already know (hi there) and another friend from out of state. The two of us have been trying to get together for over a year and something always happens. Maybe this time is the charm.

We had a loud, but short lived, thunderstorm last night complete with enough wind to take down trees (or parts of them)all over town. Dawn has an entire tree down in front of her apartment. Fresno (60 miles south) had hail the size of golf balls. Many folks love thunderstorms. I'm not one of them. I don't panic but the cat and I were both somewhat uncomfortable. She sat at my feet and looked offended. Then, it doesn't take much to offend a cat. Today the sun is shining, the weather is warm for late October, and it should continue for the rest of the week.

Thanks to all for the comments and support. I'll try to get back here a little more often. November is the "post a day" month. I haven't decided yet whether to try for it. I did it last year but there were several days I cheated with a meme, jokes, or pictures. I'll make up my mind at the last minute I suppose.

Take care everyone.

11 comments:

Anvilcloud said...

Have a nice trip.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have been busy!

I'm glad to hear the girls are happy, and Ray is happy, and you're getting a vacation! Have a great trip--you deserve it!

ancient one said...

Have fun!! I'm with you about not liking Thunder Storms.

Susie said...

Glad that Ray is doing better. I just clicked on the Carmen link and you should recheck. The news is not good as of today (just updated).
Take good care of yourself.
xo

barbhap said...

I hope you get to take your trip! You are in my prayers.

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Sad news about Carmen.

Hope you have a great time on your trip, and Ray should do fine. Glad he's home and doing well.

Love and hugs,

Diane

Unknown said...

I’m grieving Carmen’s death: she was very young and had much to live for. I posted a memoriam to her last night—or, was it earlier this morning?

Merle said...

Hi Ann ~~ Glad to hear that Ray is home and doing well. Enjoy your quick trip, he will be OK. Good on Dawn for
helping. So sorry to hear about Carmen as she was too young.
I hope Rebecca had a good birthday.
It is good that they are doing well.
Take care, dear friend, Love, Merle.

Gina said...

I'm so sorry to hear that she lost her battle.

Try to have a good time at your meet-up.

clairesgarden said...

sorry to hear about that.
nice to hear the Rebecca is enjoying her birthday and the girls are well. and hope you have had a good trip.
many blessings

Mary said...

Granny,

My sincere sympathies in the passing of both Carmen and Betty. My heart goes out to you. I will keep you and the families of your friends in my prayers.