Please sign my Guestbook.

Sunday, November 20, 2005

A New Blogging dictionary?

I love this column - it's the main reason I have the Sun-Times in my mailbox every day.

Chicago Sun-Times Quick Takes today:

Quote

All blogged out

QT Grammar R Us Seminar on the English Language (cont'd):

*BuzzWhack, www.buzzwhack .com, warns that more and more businesses are starting to use the words "proceduralize" and "productize."

*"Blogcott." "Blogolalia." "Bloggadacio."

Stop it.
Stop it now

Unquote

Okay - that's my silliness for the day I hope.

Except for my usual two trips to church this morning - one with Elcie for choir at 8:30 and another with us a little after 9:00, it's been a relaxing day. Rebecca got mad and broke Rochelle's pumpkin, Rebecca got to think about it for a little while and then we tossed the other two pumpkins. They were still in good shape (painted - not carved, remember?) but still - Thanksgiving is coming up and Christmas lights are already appearing. It was time for them to be retired.

They enjoyed "Chicken Little" last night I think but they weren't raving about it. They got there late and saw the end before the beginning. I was surprised the theater let the kids go into the next show; usually these days if you're late it's just too bad.

Our Hmong congregation had their famous egg rolls on sale this morning between services. They are so good (the egg rolls although the Hmongs are as well). The egg rolls always turn up at pot-lucks and picnics and they're usually gone while I'm still waiting in line. This time we picked up a couple but I had forgotten to bring cash. Darn it.

Don't know if I've mentioned the Hmongs. We have a third Sunday service with a lay Hmong minister. It's not a segregated group; just the difficulties with language. We join together on everything except their church service and it's everyone's choice about which service they wish to attend. Lovely group of people. I'm not sure what the population perentage is here but we have quite a few as well as a sprinkling of Cambodian and Laotian.

We're trying to plan a Christmas Eve pot-luck for the community as well as the congregation. There are always groups providing meals on the holiday itself but spending Christmas Eve (or any occasion where families normally gather) alone must be very sad for people who once had family. The poor, of course, but there are others as well who are lonely and might enjoy a meal with people. I'm making lasagne for at least 12 people (if we decide to do it - depends on how much response we get) and will probably double that. It's no harder to make a humungous pot of sauce than a small one.

My son Tim is visiting an out-of-town friend this weekend who is estranged from his family. Tim invited him for Thanksgiving but he's a nurse and works the holidays so others can have the time off. It's sad. I can't imagine turning love on and off like a spigot. I might be unhappy about the paths my children have taken (not you Tim) but it wouldn't change my love for them.

And, speaking of love of family, you may have noticed a new commenter today. Welcome Mike. I met Mike when I followed him as a commenter on Blogging Baby and was so taken by what he said that I checked out his blog. That's how I've met many of the friends I've found. If I ever learn to add names to the blogroll, his will be there but meantime you can find him at http://myloveactually.blogspot.com/ . Mike has a wife he adores and a beautiful little boy. Sometimes it seems like the loving dads are taken for granted.

I've been quietly following another blog and I can't remember whether I mentioned it here at the time. If I did, put it down to my advancing age because it was a while back and it won't hurt to mention again. http://www.californiahammonds.com/ Greg lost his wife to breast cancer over a year ago and is raising two little girls. His blog is a testimony to his love for his wife and daughters. His latest post commemorates what would have been their 10th wedding anniversary.

When Mike left the comment, I temporarily confused him with Greg. I've got my act back together now. Their stories are different but both are examples of men who are not too "macho" to express their feelings and who love their families dearly. It's a nice thing to see. I'm glad to add Mike to the guys who comment here from time to time and also think their wives and kids "hang the moon". Now that I think about it, the spouses or partners of the women who comment here sound great as well. Many of us are blessed in our choices even if, like me, it took us a while to get it right.

Seven more days of 3 girls at home. I'm still digging out from their camping trip. Laundry clean and folded but not hung or placed in drawers. All their miscellaneous hygiene and beautifying products have to find a home in the drawers. Still haven't dropped off cameras at Walgreen's. Leftovers for dinner tonight. We had a French Toast brunch here after church so no one is starving. I skipped our usual Saturday brunch so I could finish up grocery shopping early in the day. Afternoons are harder - my energy flags even though I normally get a second wind later. I've always wished this country would follow the siesta tradition.

Trust you're all enjoying your day and that L. is not on her hands and knees scrubbing floors.

4 comments:

L. said...

No scrubbing for me.... I cleaned all day Saturday. Our kids arrived -- the girl went straight to sleep, and the boy disappeared into the bo`s room and has played nonstop with my older son. He`s supposed to move to another family`s house tomorrow.

Granny said...

I'm glad. I've been kidding you but seriously, you've been in my thoughts a lot.

Andrea said...

how about
blogaholic?
I think we all qualify. hehe

Andrea said...

couldnt read the california one, read the first line and started crying.